Default forwarding if local aliases fail

Post by Carey Sinclai » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Forgive me if this has been answered previously however I am unable to
locate archives of this newsgroup.

Mail for our site comes in through a single entry point currently served

by Sendmail 8.6 on an aging Solaris 2.4 box. I am however having
difficulties making the newer setup act similarily to the existing
setup.

I wish to configure sendmail (8.9.3) to forward mail for selected users
(not necessarily local) to their appropriate mail server (within our
LAN).
Anything else that is not explicitly aliased should be forwarded to
another

I can get both pieces of the required functionality to work, but not
both
at the same time.

The way it currently works in our Sendmail 8.6 setup is by use of local
rewrites in ruleset 6. The aliasing is done in this ruleset. However I
would like the aliasing done where it should (in /etc/aliases) not in
the
actual .cf file.

Can this be done? I have briefly looked at the LUSER_RELAY feature but
from
what I can tell it only allows forwarding to a user, not another mail
server?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

-=-
 Carey Sinclair
 IT Project Engineer
 Tait Electronics Ltd
 558 Wairakei Rd, Christchurch, New Zealand
 Phone: (64) (3) 3583399 ext. 8145

Post by Per Hedela » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Forgive me if this has been answered previously however I am unable to
>locate archives of this newsgroup.

DejaNews, nowadays just Deja it seems (www.deja.com), archives all
mainstream newsgroups...

>Anything else that is not explicitly aliased should be forwarded to
>another

>Can this be done? I have briefly looked at the LUSER_RELAY feature but
>from
>what I can tell it only allows forwarding to a user, not another mail
>server?

No, don't know why you got that impression, cf/README says:

LUSER_RELAY     The site that will handle lusers -- that is, apparently
                local names that aren't local accounts or aliases.

- in fact pointing it to a user by using 'local:' as the mailer
specification is a "special case". I.e.

define(`LUSER_RELAY', `mail.tait.co.nz')

should do exactly what you want.

--Per Hedeland

1. alias to local OK but forward then fails

I'm running sendmail 8.7.3 on Solaris 2.3 using NIS+.

Mail forwarding is failing.  In testing a local user, for example, who's system

delivery is local, then delivers it.  It doesn't look up the .forward and send it on.

I thought the default behavior was to look in .forward after expanding aliases.  I
don't see anything to the contrary in the manual.  Is this something weird about NIS+?

Another weird thing that's started happening now that my aliases are under NIS+ is
lots of queued messages that say

(alias database unavailable)

Seems like the NIS+ servers aren't responding fast enough?

thanks for your time,
Leonard

---
--Leonard E. Sitongia           HAO Sun Unix System Manager

High Altitude Observatory       P.O. Box 3000 Boulder CO 80307  USA

2. WTB: Obscure SGI Stuff

3. forward to smarthost if local delivery fails

4. Z Order Question

5. How to forward all non-local users by default

6. WTB: CD-Rom for 4D/25

7. Getting indirectly failing aliases to fail at RCPT

8. kernel32.dll errors

9. Forwarding, aliasing, and local delivery

10. How to alias non-local names w/o .forward file?

11. Problem: "cannot alias non-local names" on any alias

12. Forwarding non-local user to non-local domain?

13. Resolve local aliases without local mailer