Q: pine remote configuration (PC-Pine, Unix-Pine), security, store password

Q: pine remote configuration (PC-Pine, Unix-Pine), security, store password

Post by Stefan Berte » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 21:19:00

Hi!

I use PC-Pine to read mail stored on an IMAP server (Unix). I want to
be able to read my mail directly on the IMAP server machine by using
ssh. This works fine if I have two config files: One local config file
imapmachine:~/.pinerc (for Unix pine) and one on the Windows machine
(for PC-Pine). As having two config files is some hassle I decided to
use one remote config file for both.

All works fine from the windows machine (using some command line
argument for remote_pinerc access) but I'm not sure how to use it best
from Unix - without password question. It works fine when I start pine
like this: "pine -p {imapmachine/user=username}remote_pinerc". But I
have to enter some password every time. I think there are two possible
ways out:

1. Recompile Unix pine with PASSFILE (I don't prefer this actually).
2. Use something like ssh.

I tried the second way and configured ssh so that I can login from

(pubkey). But ssh seems not to be used for reading the remote_pinerc.
It takes some seconds (about 10) before I get asked for my password
(what is pine trying in the meantime).

As some third way I tried to create a symbolic link from .pinerc to
remote_pinerc but this doesn't seem to work because the different
format - folder vs. file - I guess.

Any hints for this? Or do I have to use the first way (build pine with
PASSFILE)?

Regards
Stefan

Post by Kevin » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 22:16:34

> All works fine from the windows machine (using some command line
> argument for remote_pinerc access) but I'm not sure how to use it best
> from Unix - without password question. It works fine when I start pine
> like this: "pine -p {imapmachine/user=username}remote_pinerc". But I
> have to enter some password every time.
> It takes some seconds (about 10) before I get asked for my password
> (what is pine trying in the meantime).

I think the delay is because pine is trying to use rsh. Try specifing
ssl like this: "pine -p
{imapmachine/user=username/ssl/novalidate-cert}remote_pinerc".
Is imapmachine your local host? If so, try "pine -p
{localhost/user=username}reomte_pinerc". Where localhost is
"localhost".

Quote:> Any hints for this? Or do I have to use the first way (build pine with
> PASSFILE)?

If you really want to use ssh, you can try a couple things. I don't
know if they will work though. You can try adding these command line
options. I've never used them before though:

-rsh-path=/usr/local/bin/ssh -rsh-command="%s %s -q -l %s exec
/etc/r%sd"

NOTE: the 4 (four) "%s" entries MUST exist in the provided command
where the first is for the command's path, the second is for the
host to connnect to, the third is for the user to connect as, and the
fourth is for the connection method (typically "imap")

1. PC-Pine 4.53: pine.pwd and remote SMTP

Hi. I have an account at http://www.myrealbox.com/ and sometimes
use his SMTP. I have smtp-server configured to localhost and
smtp.myrealbox.com/user=pervalidus.

The problem is that when I send an e-mail PC-Pine asks me the
following twice before sending:

HOST: smtp.myrealbox.com  USER: pervalidus  ENTER PASSWORD:

I enter it.

Preserve password on DISK for next login?

Message sent.

The next time I send an e-mail it asks me again twice before
sending.

Password saving works fine with my IMAP accounts. Maybe it
isn't implemented for remote SMTP ?

2. Is 14.4K doable on a SS2?

3. how to "recover" password from PINE.PWD in pc-pine

4. A forum

5. lots of info about PC-Pine (& Unix Pine)

6. Anybody running Rally V6.1-0 and VMS V7.3 on Vax?

7. Help for exporting address book and all folders from Unix Pine to PC-Pine.

8. Win2000 crashes every hour !

9. How to convert mail folder format from UNIX pine to PC-Pine?

10. Common addressbook between PC-Pine and Unix Pine

11. *HELP* PC-PINE Reading UNIX PINE global address-book ???

12. PC-Pine connecting to UNIX Pine

13. PC-Pine like kolors in Unix Pine?