Eliminated my Eudora sig separator, but cannot now see sig in composing message

Eliminated my Eudora sig separator, but cannot now see sig in composing message

Post by nothoriu » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:17:13



On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 01:42:57 GMT, nothorius


>I wanted to eliminate the -- line that preceded my signature in Eudora
>5.2 (for the macintosh, but I think many settings are the same in
>Windows as well).

>Five seconds of research indicated that by altering
><x-eudora-setting:13703> and <x-eudora-setting:5904>, I could replace
>the two hyphens with space and all would be as I wanted.

>Doing so DID eliminate the two hyphens, but now when composing a new
>message, I cannot read or edit my signature in the message composition
>as I'd been able to when the hyphens were the separator.
>How can I have my cake (no hyphens) and eat it too (visible signature
>in message composition)?

PS - I have also tried modifying the  <x-eudora-setting:336>, which is
supposed to suppress or show the signature within the message
composition window, but whether I set that to 'n' or 'y' (I think 'n'
is what I want), I don't see the signature.
 
 
 

Eliminated my Eudora sig separator, but cannot now see sig in composing message

Post by nothoriu » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 07:00:58


On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 03:17:29 GMT, Ajo Wissink




>>I wanted to eliminate the -- line that preceded my signature in Eudora
>>5.2 (for the macintosh, but I think many settings are the same in
>>Windows as well).

>>Five seconds of research indicated that by altering
>><x-eudora-setting:13703> and <x-eudora-setting:5904>, I could replace
>>the two hyphens with space and all would be as I wanted.

>>Doing so DID eliminate the two hyphens, but now when composing a new
>>message, I cannot read or edit my signature in the message composition
>>as I'd been able to when the hyphens were the separator.

>>How can I have my cake (no hyphens) and eat it too (visible signature
>>in message composition)?

>There is some confusion.

>Those settings are Mac settings only.

>If you have a signature deliminator in your signature and you want to
>get rid of it,  why are you trying to do that with a .ini setting?  It
>seems the easiest way would be to edit your signature and delete it
>there.

>You make your signature visible while composing in Tools -> Options ->
>Composing Mail:    Show signature while composing.

My apologies for my ignorance here, and for any confusion I've caused.

I intended to cross-post to the Windows and Mac Eudora groups.  The
question pertains to a Mac, but there are so relatively few people on
the Mac newsgroup, that I hoped someone on the Windows one could
answer.

Anyway, Mac Eudora doesn't offer the Tools -> Options ->
Composing Mail setting; tweaks like I need must come from the
X-Eudora-Setting tricks.

The default configuration is for a two-hyphen separator between
message and signature, and for this signature to be visible when
composing a message.  However, for some odd reason, the two-hyphen
separator is NOT visible in the message composition window; only the
end recipient(s) see it.

Changing the two-hyphen separator works, but the price I pay is that I
then cannot see the signature while I'm composing a message.  I use
multiple signatures (and often no signature), and the only way I can
be 100% comfortable with which signature I'm using is to have it
visible.

Since I cannot find a way to both eliminate the separator between
message and signature, while at the same time preserving the visible
signature while composing messages, I've picked the lesser evil and
restored the default two-hyphen separator.

But I await any tips about how I can have both.  Naturally, simple
settings, such as a checkbox for "show signature while composing",
like my Windows Eudora has, would be my top choice for how to make
this happen, but I don't work for Eudora, so I don't get a voice.

Ah well...

 
 
 

Eliminated my Eudora sig separator, but cannot now see sig in composing message

Post by Rick » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 10:51:12



> On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 03:17:29 GMT, Ajo Wissink



> >>I wanted to eliminate the -- line that preceded my signature in Eudora
> >>5.2 (for the macintosh, but I think many settings are the same in
> >>Windows as well).

> >>Five seconds of research indicated that by altering
> >><x-eudora-setting:13703> and <x-eudora-setting:5904>, I could replace
> >>the two hyphens with space and all would be as I wanted.

> >>Doing so DID eliminate the two hyphens, but now when composing a new
> >>message, I cannot read or edit my signature in the message composition
> >>as I'd been able to when the hyphens were the separator.

> >>How can I have my cake (no hyphens) and eat it too (visible signature
> >>in message composition)?

> >There is some confusion.

> >Those settings are Mac settings only.

> >If you have a signature deliminator in your signature and you want to
> >get rid of it,  why are you trying to do that with a .ini setting?  It
> >seems the easiest way would be to edit your signature and delete it
> >there.

> >You make your signature visible while composing in Tools -> Options ->
> >Composing Mail:    Show signature while composing.

> My apologies for my ignorance here, and for any confusion I've caused.

> I intended to cross-post to the Windows and Mac Eudora groups.  The
> question pertains to a Mac, but there are so relatively few people on
> the Mac newsgroup, that I hoped someone on the Windows one could
> answer.

> Anyway, Mac Eudora doesn't offer the Tools -> Options ->
> Composing Mail setting; tweaks like I need must come from the
> X-Eudora-Setting tricks.

> The default configuration is for a two-hyphen separator between
> message and signature, and for this signature to be visible when
> composing a message.  However, for some odd reason, the two-hyphen
> separator is NOT visible in the message composition window; only the
> end recipient(s) see it.

> Changing the two-hyphen separator works, but the price I pay is that I
> then cannot see the signature while I'm composing a message.  I use
> multiple signatures (and often no signature), and the only way I can
> be 100% comfortable with which signature I'm using is to have it
> visible.

> Since I cannot find a way to both eliminate the separator between
> message and signature, while at the same time preserving the visible
> signature while composing messages, I've picked the lesser evil and
> restored the default two-hyphen separator.

> But I await any tips about how I can have both.  Naturally, simple
> settings, such as a checkbox for "show signature while composing",
> like my Windows Eudora has, would be my top choice for how to make
> this happen, but I don't work for Eudora, so I don't get a voice.

> Ah well...

It would seem to me that crossposting to both the MAC and the Windows groups
with not be prouctive, even if you did qualify why you were doing it. I
suspect, that most people who use Eudora use it in one of the two OS's, but
probably don't have any idea how the 'other' OS operates. In other words, if
you use the MAC OS, stick with the MAC group, and Vice versa. (If i'm wrong,
{whichI often am} I have my asbestoes suit on.)

Rick

--
Goliath: The biblical way to tell
somebody to go tell an untruth

Real address on request

 
 
 

Eliminated my Eudora sig separator, but cannot now see sig in composing message

Post by Katrina Knigh » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 02:54:34



Quote:> It would seem to me that crossposting to both the MAC and the Windows groups
> with not be prouctive, even if you did qualify why you were doing it. I
> suspect, that most people who use Eudora use it in one of the two OS's, but
> probably don't have any idea how the 'other' OS operates. In other words, if
> you use the MAC OS, stick with the MAC group, and Vice versa. (If i'm wrong,
> {whichI often am} I have my asbestoes suit on.)

In most cases, I think you're right. The Mac and Windows versions of
Eudora use rather different methods of changing settings, so crossposting
a question about how to set something is not generally a good way to get
help. Finding out how to set something in the Windows version
doesn't do much of anything to help with the Mac version and
vice-versa. People who use both versions enough to be answering such
questions probably subscribe to both groups for the most part.
Crossposting a question that is about something more general or that has
to do with something like switching from one version to the other
may make sense though.

--
Katrina