Pine versions 3.90 and higher and MkLinux

Pine versions 3.90 and higher and MkLinux

Post by Randolph L. Wicks Jr » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Here is the current situation we are dealing with:

Everytime you attempt to run pine, it will say
Mailbox is open by another process, access is read-only

Reading through all the FAQs and prior messages about this type of problem all
point at another instance of pine running. Well, this is after a clean boot...
and ps -aux reveals no copy of pine running.

Checking /var/spool/mail reveals nothing. No lock files or anything.
However, we do notice that /tmp now has a file .803.307
What is happening? We have removed this file, and everytime we run pine
this little file pops up.

If anyone can provide assistance, we would appreciate it. By the way, it does
this for every version of pine that we were able to compile on MkLinux DR-2.

----
Randolph L. Wicks Jr.
Lab Administrator and System Administrator for
The Communication and Mass Media Dept. at Southwest Missouri State University

Pine versions 3.90 and higher and MkLinux

Post by Mark Crispi » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Here is the current situation we are dealing with:

> Everytime you attempt to run pine, it will say
> Mailbox is open by another process, access is read-only

> Reading through all the FAQs and prior messages about this type of problem all
> point at another instance of pine running. Well, this is after a clean boot...
> and ps -aux reveals no copy of pine running.

> Checking /var/spool/mail reveals nothing. No lock files or anything.
> However, we do notice that /tmp now has a file .803.307
> What is happening? We have removed this file, and everytime we run pine
> this little file pops up.

> If anyone can provide assistance, we would appreciate it. By the way, it does
> this for every version of pine that we were able to compile on MkLinux DR-2.

This sounds like a problem with locking on MkLinux.  Do you know if it
implements the F_WRLCK and F_RDLCK functions of fcntl()?

-- Mark --      Read http://www.imap.org for the "best kept secret in email"

DoD #0105, R90/6 pilot, FAX: (206) 685-4045  ICBM: N 47 39'35" W 122 18'39"