Sendmail 8.9 Allowing relaying To and _From_ selected domain file(s)

Sendmail 8.9 Allowing relaying To and _From_ selected domain file(s)

Post by Frank Line » Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

Sendmail 8.9 running under Linux 2.0.32.

We run a couple of mail exchangers that handle several thousand domain
names.
How can I set up to allow any mail too or from those domain names to
relay through Sendmail.

Allowing mail too a file of domains is easy using:
# Hosts that will permit relaying ($=R)
FR-o /etc/mail/relay-domains
but this wont allow people on those domains to send out via us.

I've tried a number of options to no avail.

If anyone has the answer to this I'd be very grateful.

Alternatively we would be happy to say that anyone can relay through the
mailer who is connecting from a machine with a fully resolvable IP
address which matches a list of domains. Again, they must be able to
receive and send mail.

All advice would be very welcome.

Yours faithfully,

Frank Liney

1. relay allowing *.com in 8.9.1a?

I've been working with relay stuff for a bit now (as I guess we all
have!), and have stumbled onto an interesting thing with my 8.9.1a
config.

It's always allowing relays from *.com, although .com is not in
relay-domains (well, not on its own anyway :) ).  It prevents
relaying from *.org, *.au etc etc, just *.com always gets through.
There's .org sites in my cw, relay-domain and virtusertable,
just like the .com ones.

I don't think I explained that very well.

If I telnet in to the box from anywhere (say for example my
home machine, in .au), and do the following this is what happens :

But not only am I coming in from a remote node that is in a
different TLD, but there's no foo.com or bar.com in any MX
records, virtusertable, CW records etc on that server.  We'll
get ORBS'd! (or worse, used as a spam relay again!). It seems to
do the same thing for anything that's a valid .com domain.

A similar test but substituting org for com works as expected
(relaying denied).

My config has the following options defined :

divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`$Id: test.mc,v 1.6 1998/11/07 21:31:13 carl Exp carl $')
OSTYPE(sunos4.1)dnl
DOMAIN(test)dnl
define(`confTRUSTED_USERS', `test')dnl
define(`ALIAS_FILE', `/etc/mail/aliases')dnl
define(`QUEUE_DIR', `/usr/spool/mqueue')dnl
define(`STATUS_FILE', `/etc/mail/sendmail.st')dnl
define(`confCW_FILE', `/etc/mail/sendmail.cw')dnl
define(`confCT_FILE', `/etc/mail/sendmail.ct')dnl
FEATURE(virtusertable, dbm /etc/mail/virtusertable)dnl
FEATURE(relay_entire_domain)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

Has anyone else seen this behaviour before?  It's a SunOS 4.1.4
machine running resolv+2.11 for DNS in libc, and it appears to
work just fine for everything else. I can't find anything
in the FAQ about it, nor on Claus's webpages (but I may have
missed something).

--
#include <stddisclaimer.h>

2. IBM owes me money, anyone else ?

3. Allowing Relaying in 8.9

4. Problem identifying window

5. Sendmail: Allowing relay for select users

6. Amortized cost per page: Laser or inkjet?

7. multi domain relay hub ver 8.9 or 8.10 on Linux

8. Hoovering over combobox, devenv looping ?

9. 8.9 woes (BROKEN_RES_SEARCH, relay-domains, MAIL_HUB rewriting)

10. Why is Smart Relay in Sendmail 8.9.X different from Sendmail SMI-8.6/SMI-SVR4

11. Allowing select remote users to relay

12. Allowing users to select the domain