References header.

Post by Mailtraq Infode » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 07:30:02

Hi guys,

I am still looking for an answer to the question if Pine is not able to handle
the References header in emails. And if so why that is. Anyone? Just to make
sure I'm clear, Pine handles Usenet postings fine, but when replying by email to
a usenet posting or another email with the reference header, at least version
PcPine 4.33 seems to drop the References header. Am I doing something wrong
maybe?

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Kind regards,

R.Renkema
--
Mailtraq Nederland/Mailtraq Europa
A.P. 228, 3404-909 Oliveira do Hospital, PORTUGAL

References header.

Post by Eduardo Chapp » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 11:43:26

:) I am still looking for an answer to the question if Pine is not able
:) to handle the References header in emails. And if so why that is.

I just checked what you claim, and you are right. I took a look at the
source code and it's not more enlightening about it. What you can see,
though, is that the references headers is only generated when your message
goes to the newsgroup (so this means pressing F for "followup, or B for
both).  Changing that is very easy, it's a shame that you can't since you
are using PC-Pine.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

1. Do something about missing References: headers

Since we run (I think) most gateways here at American, and they will
soon be under my control, this isn't idle speculation. It is my
decision. If the mail and news sides of the equation are too out of
sync, there is more hassle to keep the gateway up than shutting it down.
My looks at mailing list traffic tell me that things will be "too out of
sync" as soon as References-less replies are dropped on the news side.

So we'll have to shut down our gateways. That's why I'm opposed to this.

Note above you said "affected users to find MUAs". The "affected users"
are the ones reading news that has had 15 or 25 or 50 % of the articles
filtered out. They can't change anything. You've destroyed their gateway
though. The people reading the mailing list side see 100% of the articles.
Good luck convincing them they're "affected".

-Eric

2. need help with reader dictionary...

3. References: header not supported in replies?

4. How do i stop an opo running after backup

5. References header

6. XEmacs 19.12 ps-print speed

7. Option to change file type and creator in CWP?

8. Reference headers

9. References: header in 3.94

10. References header broken? (threading doesn't always work)

11. Internet mail message header format: reference pages available

12. Reference for user field headers "X-"