Timestamp problem with 8.8.4 and pop clients

Timestamp problem with 8.8.4 and pop clients

Post by Alex Finke » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I recently upgraded the sendmail on my mailserver from 8.6.12 to 8.8.4.

Server is a Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.4.

Ever since the upgrade, some but not all of my users get their mail with
a timestamp that is 5 hours behind.

If a user reads mail with PINE on a Solaris client or with Eudora on a
PC, the timestamps are fine.  They also look correct with /bin/mail or
mailx on Solaris.

Clients using Exchange Inbox with MS Internet Mail client get every mail
message with a timestamp 5 hours behind.

I edited the sendmail.cf file to add:

     O TimeZoneSpec=EST5EDT

I restarted sendmail, but it did not fix the problem.

If anyone has any clues as to how to fix this or where the problem is,

Thanks in advance,

Timestamp problem with 8.8.4 and pop clients

Post by Ron Snyd » Sun, 05 Jan 1997 04:00:00

[posted and emailed]

Quote:

>Clients using Exchange Inbox with MS Internet Mail client get every mail
>message with a timestamp 5 hours behind.

I posted a series of requests and subsequent discoveries about this problem,
and here is what I found:

The problem we had is the exact same as the problem you are having, but only
the windows 95 users experienced it, and only with their pop mail.  MS
messaging/exchange (whatever) is pulling the timezone info from the Received:
header, but it doesn't understand a timezone that looks like this: -0800 (PST)
(at the end of the header)

If you remove the parens from the (PST) part of the header before your
messaging client retrieves the message, you will have the right time
displayed.  From reading the RFCs, I discovered that the ()s are supposed to
mark a comment.  MS messaging should be ignoring the (PST), but isn't, so it
can't find a timezone that looks like -0800 (PST) because it doesn't exist.

I called MS tech support, they told me to download their exchange patch and
install it, as this is a known problem.  The patch I downloaded failed to
install, and when I called MS back they told me that the reason the patch
wouldn't install is because my Win95 is an OEM version.  Whatever.  At any
rate, the version of messaging that is installed on my nt4.0 machine doesn't
experience the timezone problem, so apparently someone knows about the
problem.

The version of messaging on win95 is 4.0.8??.? (or something like that), but
on NT the version is 4.0.993.3.

Getting a patch for the ~40 win95 machines is a different problem.

Anybody?

--

Rogue Wave Software, Inc                |         intentionally
{news,unix} admin                       |         left blank

Timestamp problem with 8.8.4 and pop clients

Post by Ron Snyd » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hopefully MS will release a patch for this.

Well, I finally found my notes with the name of the patch to download from
their web server-- sp3_409i.exe, but like I said, I couldn't get it to load on
our OEM versions of win95.  Hopefully you won't have the same problem.

--ron

--

Post by Alex Finke » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> >Hopefully MS will release a patch for this.

> Well, I finally found my notes with the name of the patch to download from
> their web server-- sp3_409i.exe, but like I said, I couldn't get it to load on
> our OEM versions of win95.  Hopefully you won't have the same problem.

Same here.  The install fails, complaining that:

   "Error:  This is not a full Exchange System"

Maybe one day MS will get it right.

- Alex

1. timestamp in client incorrect?

Hi.

I'm having a problem getting the 'Time Received' to show correctly on
mail from my server.

I'm running Sendmail and QPopper....

Hardware time is set to GMT and system time (in Atlantic Canada) is
correct. If I send mail to an account it arrives with a 'Received
Time' that is 4 hours off - negative. eg. I send myself mail at 11:00,
collect my mail and it shows 'Received' at 7:00....???

Header:

        by xxxxx.com (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id xxxxxxx

          xx-MS-MR001.xxx.xxxxx.ca (Netscape Messaging Server 4.15)

          2001 06:37:29 -0500

Subject: time
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 06:30:48 -0800

The 4 hour difference for the server location is correct (GMT - 4) and
the 5 hour difference for the origin makes sense (GMT - 5).....

I'm losing hair over here trying to figure this out. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks
bRad

2. Win apps under Odin

3. Problems reading mail on POP mail client (Maybe a setup problem?)

4. C++ Header files...

5. UIDL pop server and otherrrr pop clients

6. Site Check Please - Again

7. POP before SMTP, Solution for Mail Client Problem

8. Normal and Preview modes out of sync

9. Problem with sendmail 8.9.2 and POP-clients ?

10. POP mail client problem - Help Please

11. Sendmail and an Outlook-Client (pop-Problem)

12. Problem Winsock.dll & Pop client

13. HELP !! Problems delivering mails to POP client