POP before SMTP, Solution for Mail Client Problem

POP before SMTP, Solution for Mail Client Problem

Post by luckycha » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

"POP before SMTP" is a not standarized change in the SMTP protocol. It
is used in order to protect the SMTP servers from spammers. If you send
an e-mail, you have first to log on to the POP server and then you can
send the mail via SMTP. The advantage is the spammer protection but on
the other side, lots of mail clients do not support "POP before SMTP"
an produce errors instead of sending the e-mail. But there is a really
simple solution for the client problem. Take a look at
http://internet.freepage.de/luckychat/smtpproxy/english.html.
It works with all Windows E-Mail clients and it is for free.

Ingo

POP before SMTP, Solution for Mail Client Problem

Post by Tobias Besc » Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> "POP before SMTP" is a not standarized change in the SMTP protocol. It
> is used in order to protect the SMTP servers from spammers. If you send
> an e-mail, you have first to log on to the POP server and then you can
> send the mail via SMTP. The advantage is the spammer protection but on
> the other side, lots of mail clients do not support "POP before SMTP"
> an produce errors instead of sending the e-mail. But there is a really
> simple solution for the client problem. Take a look at
> http://internet.freepage.de/luckychat/smtpproxy/english.html.
> It works with all Windows E-Mail clients and it is for free.

Thou shall not crosspost!

comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows is the wrong newsgroup
because Pegasus Mail supports "POP before SMTP".

Regards
          Tobias

1. Problems reading mail on POP mail client (Maybe a setup problem?)

        I am having problems reading mail from a POP3 mail server.

        The server is a DEC 3000/500 OSF/1 V1.3
        The client is a NT system.

        Using any of the WINSOCK POP/SMTP clients,  I am able to
        send mail and successfully logon to the POP3 mail server.
        The server reports no new mail although there is.

        The POP database is located in /usr/spool/pop/POP and
        my new mail arrives via SMTP in /usr/spool/mail/xxxxx.

        My entry in the pop database specifies the relative directory
        ../mail .   I was assuming I could read my SMTP incomming mail
        via POP.

        Does POP incomming mail show up in a different spot.  If so
        what tricks do I need to perform to have a unified mail box
        (POP/SMTP) readable or does POP mail need to be addressed
        differently than SMTP mail.

        Can anyone help?

        Thanks,
        Ira Chavis

2. i want to pass over proxy

3. MAC SMTP/POP mail clients- pls send a list

4. News question

5. pop before smtp: pls rate my solution

6. starts-with usage problem

7. opinions on a pop before smtp solution...

8. suid root files on Hot Mix CDs

9. Simple POP before SMTP solution

10. Problem with smtp link in cc:mail - solution

11. POP mail client problem - Help Please

12. HELP !! Problems delivering mails to POP client

13. POP problem with sendmail - SOLUTION !