Pine, remote courier IMAP server, generic client login

Pine, remote courier IMAP server, generic client login

Post by Andy Rabagliat » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 18:33:40

Folks,

  I am trying to set up a scheme for a school mail server.

  The plan is to have a central linux mailserver, running courier-IMAP,
  using LDAP authentication.

  The client will be a number of 486-class text-mode linux clients,
  running pine, allowing students to log in on any client machine to
  read their mail.

  I thought the client machine could have a generic account, called "pine"
  or something, that everyone would use to log in, or maybe the login
  phase would be bypassed.

  From there they would run pine, which would be set up with an inbox
  specification (in /etc/pine.conf) of

user-domain=myschool.wizzy.org.za
inbox-path={myschool.wizzy.org.za}INBOX

  This works, but the user is continually obliged to re-authenticate,
  at all folder changes, mail-sending, etc.

  Perusing google, the best I can do is

pine -folder-collections={myschool.wizzy.org.za/user=guest}INBOX[] \
        -default-fcc={myschool.wizzy.org.za/user=guest}INBOX.sent-mail

  Ugly, but could be wrapped up in a shell script.

  Is there a better way ?

  Could I do a client login authentication against the central LDAP server,
  and would pine then 'know' who the user was ?

  Suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,     Andy!

http://www.wizzy.org.za/

Pine, remote courier IMAP server, generic client login

Post by Bria » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 04:47:43

I don't know of a fix but I'm aware of why this happens.  When you
open folders on a remote system in pine, if the username is different
than the one used to log into the machine, it will keep prompting you.
 The best solution would be to have central authentication for all the
machines.  That way the remote account name and local name is the
same.

> Folks,

>   I am trying to set up a scheme for a school mail server.

>   The plan is to have a central linux mailserver, running courier-IMAP,
>   using LDAP authentication.

>   The client will be a number of 486-class text-mode linux clients,
>   running pine, allowing students to log in on any client machine to
>   read their mail.

>   I thought the client machine could have a generic account, called "pine"
>   or something, that everyone would use to log in, or maybe the login
>   phase would be bypassed.

>   From there they would run pine, which would be set up with an inbox
>   specification (in /etc/pine.conf) of

> user-domain=myschool.wizzy.org.za
> inbox-path={myschool.wizzy.org.za}INBOX

>   This works, but the user is continually obliged to re-authenticate,
>   at all folder changes, mail-sending, etc.

>   Perusing google, the best I can do is

> pine -folder-collections={myschool.wizzy.org.za/user=guest}INBOX[] \
>    -default-fcc={myschool.wizzy.org.za/user=guest}INBOX.sent-mail

>   Ugly, but could be wrapped up in a shell script.

>   Is there a better way ?

>   Could I do a client login authentication against the central LDAP server,
>   and would pine then 'know' who the user was ?

>   Suggestions appreciated.

> Cheers,     Andy!

> http://www.wizzy.org.za/

Pine, remote courier IMAP server, generic client login

Post by Andy Rabagliat » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 21:41:50

Have you done this ?

Is it easy ?

I am using Red Hat linux, openldap server.

Cheers,   Andy!

>  The best solution would be to have central authentication for all the
> machines.  That way the remote account name and local name is the
> same.

> >   Is there a better way ?

> >   Could I do a client login authentication against the central LDAP server,
> >   and would pine then 'know' who the user was ?

> >   Suggestions appreciated.

1. Courier-IMAP login oddities

I haven't found anything about this, so I decided to ask here.  First,
here's what I'm running:

Redhat 7.2
QMail 1.03
VPopMail 5.2
Courier-IMAP 1.7.1

QMail works great.  I've got my virtual domain setup and it works like a
champ.  Connecting through POP never has any problems, and IMAP... well,
that's the part that's interesting.

I can connect over 143 without any problems, and most of the time, I can
login and do everything that I want to.  However, occasionally, the server
will reject my login.  Nothing has changed on the client; the login just
fails.  No amount of retrying results in a successful login.  The only thing
that works (outside of restarting IMAP) is the following:

The login will fail as it should.

Successful login.

This will solve the problem for a little while.  Then after going from, say,
a POP account in the client back to the IMAP account, the problem starts
again.  Also happens when hopping in-between IMAP accounts, even those on
the same server; or even when browsing folders within the same account.
Always the solution I outlined above is what's necessary.  Very annoying.

I've tried this on several clients (Outlook Express, Netscape Mail, and
Eudora) and gotten the same results, so I'm pretty sure it's something on
the mail server.  I've turned debugging level 2 on in IMAP, and the
username/password sent is always correct.

I have this setup working on a YellowDog installation without this problem,
and I've tried identifying what's different between the two but to no avail.
Anyway, I know it _can_ work, and it's probably something simple that I
overlooked, so any thoughts that might shed some light on this would be much
appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

2. ZyXEL/Compuserve/OzCIS -- who is dropping my returns?

3. courier-imap rejects logins < 5 characters

4. WTD: Sharp YO-550

5. Imap courier Login failed!

6. Join MSBC?

7. Maildir/ IMAP server (NOT Courier-IMAP)

8. Pine crash after deleting e-mails with the Notes client from a Domino server (Domino IMAP server)

9. Courier 1.5.1 & OE 6.x "server is rejecting your login"

10. Pine 4.44 not remembering password on IMAP server which requires a full realm login.

11. Pine & multiple IMAP servers/logins

12. pine 4.20 won't login to IMAP server