Sendmail 8.10.1-3SASL RPM setup and configuration

Sendmail 8.10.1-3SASL RPM setup and configuration

Post by Peter Buch » Fri, 09 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I'm a real newbie at this, so I'm having a lot of difficulty.

What I need to have set up is a sit where my pop3 users can connect from
anywhere, and send and receive mail. I want password checking on both the
SMTP and POP3 so that I don't have to worry as much about spam.

Is there a simple way to do this? I've been reading the SMTP AUTH setup
instructions, and have tried following them, but this isn't easy. I asked a
Linux guy here, and he said sendmail isn't easy.

Has anyone published an easy to follow guideline for newbies? Given the
laxity of security and overwhelming spam, this would be really helpful to a
lot of people.

Any additional speed in helping out would be great!

Thanks!

-Peter Buchy

Post by gerr » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>I'm a real newbie at this, so I'm having a lot of difficulty.

>What I need to have set up is a sit where my pop3 users can connect from
>anywhere, and send and receive mail. I want password checking on both the
>SMTP and POP3 so that I don't have to worry as much about spam.

>Is there a simple way to do this? I've been reading the SMTP AUTH setup
>instructions, and have tried following them, but this isn't easy. I asked a
>Linux guy here, and he said sendmail isn't easy.

I wad a nicely running setup with 8.9 except for pop auth. I was hoping
waiting for 8.10 (.1) and am extremely frustrated. My aliases don't seem to
work, I can't seem to forward root's mail.

I'm guessing there are new security "features" at work but trying to find
out how to use them is pretty hard. I've been all over sendmail.org/net and
can't get simple stuff to work as above. Basic relay and retrieval work
fine.

I'm about ready to dump it for qmail!

gerry

NO_SPAM added to my email address to confuse robots

Sendmail 8.10.1-3SASL RPM setup and configuration

Post by Steve Sob » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

From 'gerry':

> [original post is likely clipped to save bandwidth]

>>I'm a real newbie at this, so I'm having a lot of difficulty.

>>What I need to have set up is a sit where my pop3 users can connect from
>>anywhere, and send and receive mail. I want password checking on both the
>>SMTP and POP3 so that I don't have to worry as much about spam.

>>Is there a simple way to do this? I've been reading the SMTP AUTH setup
>>instructions, and have tried following them, but this isn't easy. I asked a
>>Linux guy here, and he said sendmail isn't easy.

>I wad a nicely running setup with 8.9 except for pop auth. I was hoping
>waiting for 8.10 (.1) and am extremely frustrated. My aliases don't seem to
>work, I can't seem to forward root's mail.

>I'm guessing there are new security "features" at work but trying to find
>out how to use them is pretty hard. I've been all over sendmail.org/net and
>can't get simple stuff to work as above. Basic relay and retrieval work
>fine.

>I'm about ready to dump it for qmail!

I have 8.10.0 rpms at ftp.nstc.com. I had a page up on my web site, but
the website got redone and I haven't had a chance to put the page back up
yet. What problems are you having with 8.10.1? I've successfully configured
8.10.0 and I'm sure I can help you.

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH  http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Steve Sobol, BOFH - President, Chief Website Architect and Janitor

Pictures of two of my 'children': http://www.WrinkleDogs.com

Sendmail 8.10.1-3SASL RPM setup and configuration

Post by Pieter J.D. Huibert » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Peter,
Sounds like you are in the same position as I am. I am new too, and have
similar needs! I was informed that Sendamil 8.10 can do SMTP AUTH. I found
documention at sendmail.org, but no additional help or anything. Seems like it
is not available, or considered easy!

If you do find some docs please forward them, I am sure there are more people
that will welcome them.

Piet
P.S. I am also looking for some guidlines in upgrading from sendmail 8.93 to
8.10.x without loosing anything.

> I'm a real newbie at this, so I'm having a lot of difficulty.

> What I need to have set up is a sit where my pop3 users can connect from
> anywhere, and send and receive mail. I want password checking on both the
> SMTP and POP3 so that I don't have to worry as much about spam.

> Is there a simple way to do this? I've been reading the SMTP AUTH setup
> instructions, and have tried following them, but this isn't easy. I asked a
> Linux guy here, and he said sendmail isn't easy.

> Has anyone published an easy to follow guideline for newbies? Given the
> laxity of security and overwhelming spam, this would be really helpful to a
> lot of people.

> Any additional speed in helping out would be great!

> Thanks!

> -Peter Buchy

Sendmail 8.10.1-3SASL RPM setup and configuration

Post by John R. Shanno » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>P.S. I am also looking for some guidlines in upgrading from sendmail 8.93 to
>8.10.x without loosing anything.

www.sendmail.net has articles on SMPT authorization and upgrading from
8.93.

Sendmail 8.10.1-3SASL RPM setup and configuration

Post by emmen.. » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm a real newbie at this, so I'm having a lot of difficulty.

> What I need to have set up is a sit where my pop3 users can connect
from
> anywhere, and send and receive mail. I want password checking on both
the
> SMTP and POP3 so that I don't have to worry as much about spam.

> Is there a simple way to do this? I've been reading the SMTP AUTH
setup
> instructions, and have tried following them, but this isn't easy. I
asked a
> Linux guy here, and he said sendmail isn't easy.

> Has anyone published an easy to follow guideline for newbies? Given
the
> laxity of security and overwhelming spam, this would be really helpful
to a
> lot of people.

> Any additional speed in helping out would be great!

> Thanks!

> -Peter Buchy

I am exactly same position. Would you be so kind to share info that
helps to get smpt auth working.

Thanks a lot.

Ed

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. MISC: Sendmail 8.10.0 and Cyrus SASL 1.5.15 RPMs Available

I have built source and binary RPMS for Sendmail 8.10.0 and Cyrus SASL
1.5.15.

Installing from RPM means you'll be able to take advantage of all of the
features the RPM system offers, including easy installation and
uninstallation and automatic detection of dependencies between RPMs.

The Sendmail RPM is built to support SMTP Auth. You'll need to install the
SASL RPM before installing the Sendmail RPM.

I have NOT uploaded the packages to Red Hat yet. I am CC'ing this message to
Donnie Barnes and Erik Troan at Red Hat with a request for them to take a look
at the packages before I upload them -- it has been a while since the last
time I did any significant amount of work building an RPM.

Right now, the packages are available at ftp://ftp.nstc.com/software

I very strongly suggest you take a look at a couple installation notes first,
though, if you haven't installed 8.10 yet. The notes, and links to all of
the RPMs, are at http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net/go/software

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH  http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Steve Sobol, President, Chief Website Architect and Janitor

2. Bitmap dimming

3. rpm for sendmail 8.10.1 ?

4. Philips OMNIwriter Purchase - Great long term investmest or new White Elephant???

5. sendmail 8.10.0 configuration

6. How to remove icons at bottom-right corner?

7. Sendmail 8.10.0 configuration - Please Help-

8. Search Function

9. Any GUI sendmail configuration program like Linuxconf for 8.10.2?

10. Virtual Domain Sendmail 8.10.0+SASL Setup.

11. sendmail 8.10.1 on Linux install configuration problem

12. Sendmail 8.10.0 Beta 10 smtp $ esmtp...

13. newaliases in sendmail 8.10.2+Sun/8.10.2