looking4software4macs to handle email commands?

looking4software4macs to handle email commands?

Post by Helmut Fromberge » Sun, 17 Apr 1994 10:57:24

Hello there!

I'm looking for a program (Apple/Mac Sys7) able to handle commands
recieved via e-mail.
Wanted features: AutoReply,handle simple commands......
Could be a faceless application(demon ;) ) or other.
Any suggestions are welcomed.

Perhaps something like BART or could someone email me BARTS source
quode if it's available.thx
Or has someone already ported BART to the Mac?

thx in advance for answers

greetings from south-east bavaria

Helmut

--

1. Q: Handling large mail loads....how to distribute mail handling??

I've been dealing with relatively reasonable mail loads on an AIX 4.3.2
7025-f50 (3 155MHz processors) machine running sendmail V8.8....2800
users
and a 2GB /var/spool/mail.  But the days of clean and simple ASCII text
mail are passing and the direct and indirect consequences can be
substantial.
1) Someone puts a "pretty" graphic in an annoucement email and sends
that 250K file to 1000 users...now I have a 250MB lump in the mail
system.  And that's "legitimate"...
2) A few days ago, I had a clueless user attach a 4MB scanned image (the
text amounted to about 12K....the scanned image including dust specks
was 4MB) file to an email and send it to 1000 users on the mail
machine.  My mailbox filesystem went from 2GB to 6GB...that'sn
unjustifiable....but it happened.  Well, I've been pleasantly surprised
with how nicely the work got distributed over time instead of blocking
everything solid.
3) The worst load on the mail server lately was a two day degradation of
our T1 line into random noise.  By the time things were finally set to
rights the queued mail in /var/spool/mqueue was substantial and the F50
(usually at 20-30%) was running flat out for 30 minutes to clear it out.

All this is clearly a portent: "richer" mail (video clips, anyone?) and
heavier loads to come....point-and-click mail makes users dangerous!
So......the question: How does one handle really *substantial* loads.
Yes, a hotter machine and hotter NIC card...but that only goes so far.
How do you distribute mail load over more than one machine?  How do you
deal with mail service distributed over multiple machines, file systems
and NICs?

---

// as for the rest: wife,house,children, cars, music, garden....

2. Zoom: Terminal connections faster than Dial-up Networking

3. Command-S,Command-P just highlighting the File menu

4. Wisbar install?

5. Sending command-line mail with a blind cc command

6. Help with YAOS v1.00 please!!

7. command line command to pull up a file and limit to pattern

8. Free source code archive

9. Automate the 'Bounce Command' from command line?

10. "Read Output From Command" command?

11. From field incorrect when using Mail command from Command Line

12. How to handle hundreds of emails a day.

13. Configuring linux/unix to handle email on a home network