intermediate spam server

Post by Suppor » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 05:12:50

Hello:

I would like to setup an intermediate "spam rejecting" server in order to
remove the load from my final delivery (pop) box.  I had envisioned using a
fisrt-line server to accept the mail, do the appropriate blocking with dnsbl
as I'm doing now, then pass along to the final server that delivers it to
the user's pop boxes.

Can someone tell me how I should set this up?  I assume I'd need to make the
1st box a lower number (higher priority) in it's DNS MX record.

In this configuration, I assume all the mail would go the the higher
priority (first) box unless it was unavailable, then it's roll over to going
directly to the primary.

I need to know how to prevent local delivery on this first box.

Thanks very much in advance for the time to help.

Greg

intermediate spam server

Post by Michael Reuschlin » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 06:16:14

Hi,

The best way should be to setup DNS pointing to the new server, the one
which should protect
the old server. On the new one setup up a mailertable (usually
/etc/mail/mailertable, "makemap hash mailertable < mailertable")
which forwards all mails for your domains to the old server.

This way your pop-server cannot be seen by others.

Hope this helps,

Michael

--
#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#
http://za-internet.de - Jetzt zuschlagen!

Quote:> Hello:

> I would like to setup an intermediate "spam rejecting" server in order to
> remove the load from my final delivery (pop) box.  I had envisioned using
> fisrt-line server to accept the mail, do the appropriate blocking with
dnsbl
> as I'm doing now, then pass along to the final server that delivers it to
> the user's pop boxes.

> Can someone tell me how I should set this up?  I assume I'd need to make
the
> 1st box a lower number (higher priority) in it's DNS MX record.

> In this configuration, I assume all the mail would go the the higher
> priority (first) box unless it was unavailable, then it's roll over to
going
> directly to the primary.

> I need to know how to prevent local delivery on this first box.

> Thanks very much in advance for the time to help.

> Greg

1. Deliverying mail to an Intermediate server using sendmail

Hi ppl,
    Sorry about this stoopid question but i have the following network
setup:

    Host A is on an Internal network and is the internal networks email
server
    Host B is on the Internet and is our main mail server
    Host C is the destination mail server

I want Host A to use Host B to delivery mail to Host C.
Basically because Host A cannot communicate with Host C directly I need
it to use Host B as a relay.

Is there anyway to do this?? How do i configure both Host A and B?

Thanks for the quick response

Dave
Assistant Systems Administrator
Vianet Australia

2. SQA LEAD REQUIRED IN SAN RAPHAEL, CA (AUTODESK)

3. Setting an intermediate server with two domains

4. Desire For Low Fixed Cost Cellular Use

5. spam spam spam spam, Argh!

6. Microtek C6 EPP and Win2000

7. spam spam spam

8. use macro for MVME167

9. Eating... SPAM SPAM SPAM !!

10. spam spam spam....

11. debugging rewriting rules on an intermediate hop.

12. 'From' line dropping required intermediate system