Amavis : Random messages send in continuous loop

Amavis : Random messages send in continuous loop

Post by Terence Parke » Sun, 15 Sep 2002 19:56:59

I have installed the 'amavis' virus scanning program - which in conjunction
with sendmail and the OpenAntiVirus ScannerDaemon scans all incoming mails
for viruses. I don't know how familiar people on this board are with amavis
(I certainly don't see any messages regarding it at the moment). The main
problem I have is that all rejection e-mails (like what postmaster sends out
if mail cannot be sent etc...) seem to send on a continuous loop - so if you
accidentally mistype an e-mail address and send a mail through the server
SMTP then your mailbox will keep getting flooded until someone manually
clears mqueue. This also happens to random incoming e-mails (but not often).

The problem is clearly with 'amavis' and not sendmail, since it worked fine
before I had to meddle with the sendmail.cf file to get it to work with
sendmail. Hence I have posted this message on the 'amavis' discussion group
too. However - I thought that some familiar with sendmail.cf language might
be able to help.

Amavis suggested the following modifications to sendmail.cf :

    #R$*                    $: $>Parse0 $1          initial parsing

    #R$*                    $: $>98 $1              handle local hacks
    #R$*                    $: $>Parse1 $1          final parsing

    R$*             $: $>Parse0 $1          initial parsing

    R$*             $: $>98 $1              handle local hacks
    R$*             $#amavis $:$1
    #R$*            $: $>Parse1 $1          final parsing

The original has been commented out - the new added below. I'm guessing, but
it looks like this is a simply a list of instructions similar to that
carried out by a compiler right? Mails are handled for errors before being
sent to 'amavis' for virus scanning in the modified section. So even the
error messages produced are sent to amavis and scanned? How does that create
a loop though - unless amavis sends error messages back to the second line
(local?) ? Should final parsing not be necessary? Since I notice that is
commented out too.

If this looks fine, how about :

S=10/30, R=20/40,
    #               T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
    #               A=procmail -Y -a $h -d $u

                    T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                    A=amavis $f $u -- procmail -Y -a $h -d $u

                    T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                    A=amavis $f $u

I see that mlocal has replaced 'amavis' instead of procmail. I assume that
'amavis' then runs procmail itself after scanning, looking at the second
block. But from this I still don't see how e-mails will end up looping.

This all may have nothing to do with sendmail.cf and it could just be
amavis - but i'm just writing to check that. Otherwise, all my mails are
checked for viruses and the system works very well!

Thanks for any help received.

Received,

Terence Parker

Post by Nikola Milutinovi » Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:24:35

> I have installed the 'amavis' virus scanning program - which in conjunction
> with sendmail and the OpenAntiVirus ScannerDaemon scans all incoming mails
> for viruses. I don't know how familiar people on this board are with amavis
> (I certainly don't see any messages regarding it at the moment). The main
> problem I have is that all rejection e-mails (like what postmaster sends out
> if mail cannot be sent etc...) seem to send on a continuous loop - so if you
> accidentally mistype an e-mail address and send a mail through the server
> SMTP then your mailbox will keep getting flooded until someone manually
> clears mqueue. This also happens to random incoming e-mails (but not often).

> The problem is clearly with 'amavis' and not sendmail, since it worked fine
> before I had to meddle with the sendmail.cf file to get it to work with
> sendmail. Hence I have posted this message on the 'amavis' discussion group
> too. However - I thought that some familiar with sendmail.cf language might
> be able to help.

You can configure/build AMaViS to use Milter API to talk to Sendmail. I have
been using it with Sendmail 8.12.0 and now with 8.12.5. The 3rd snapshot
(latest, AFAIK) works flawlessly as a multithreaded service on my Tru64 UNIX
(DEC OSF/1).

Nix.

Post by Rob MacGrego » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:07:08

> The problem is clearly with 'amavis' and not sendmail, since it worked fine
> before I had to meddle with the sendmail.cf file to get it to work with
> sendmail. Hence I have posted this message on the 'amavis' discussion group
> too. However - I thought that some familiar with sendmail.cf language might
> be able to help.

Try the latest snapshot (20020531) with the MILTER interface.  You'll need to
apply a patch, but the details are in the FAQ.

It would help if you provided version numbers when asking for help :-)  That way
people can be more specific in their advice...

--
  Rob MacGregor (MCSE)
      The light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming dragon.

Amavis : Random messages send in continuous loop

Post by Tom Com » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 03:03:22

  I have not used Amavis but as aside I'd like to recommend Mailscanner
  (www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner).  I use it in conjunction with
  McAfee's Uvscan and SpamAssassin (spamassasin.taint.org) and am quite
  pleased with it.  It easy to deploy and has a very active mailing list
  for any support that is needed.

--

National High Magnetic Field Laboratory        Phone:  (850) 644-1657
1800 E. Paul Dirac Drive                       Tallahassee, FL 32310

1. Imap, Pine and Continuous Error Loops

Hi. I'm hoping someone can help me. I am using Pine to access an Imap
server. I have encountered this problem with versions 4.21, 4.30 and 4.31,
and I am of the opinion that this is an Imap server problem. On the off
chance that it is not, or if someone can help me in telling the provider
what the problem is, here's the issue.

On some messages that I read, and there doesn't seem to be a discernible
pattern to this, I get an error message to the effect that there is junk
at end of envelope information. Then I get some error messages about
certain words not being recognized message properties, and it cycles
through the header like this over and over again without stopping. The
only way I know how to stop this is to exit my Unix shell. Does anyone
have an idea what is going on here? If the problem is indeed with my Imap
provider, what do I tell them? Thank you very much.

Bruce

2. Multiframe and Series?

3. MS Exchange: Continuous download of same message

4. UUCP for Windows for Workgroups or Windows NT SMNP handling?

5. amavis, amavis-milter and sendmail 8.11.6 - EX_TEMPFAIL

6. Looking for a C++ to C translator

7. sendmail + Amavis: Cannot send 8-bit data to 7-bit destination

8. SCSI and Hibernate function

9. Send To Random In Address Book

10. FreeBsd Sendmail is rejecting random messages

11. Sent messages don't appear in sent messages folder

12. Mail loops, breaks loop, and delivers anyway

13. Continuous Disconnect