Pine is a MIME news reader?

Post by David L Mill » Wed, 20 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

>    I am trying to read news groups which have 8-bit chars inside
> (greek characters). However the news articles arrive in 8-bit encoding
> and not in MIME. With a configuration with some tools that I have set
> I have managed to send MIME messages to news groups but when I try to
> read them with pine then I see the original MIME article unencoded.

>    So my question is if pine as a news reader can post and read
> MIME UseNet news articles.

Pine, as distributed by UW, does support MIME news reading and
posting.  However, I noticed that you are running a modified version
of Pine, which may have different behavior.  Check with the author of
whatever patches you are using for details.

BTW, the current Pine 3.92 release has a feature that allows you to
post 8-bit text, thus avoiding Quoted-Printable encoding in newsgroups
that don't like MIME.....

|/ |_ |  |  Software Engineer, Pine Development Team   (206) 685-4045 (FAX)
University of Washington, Networks & Distributed Computing, JE-20
4545 15th Ave NE, Seattle WA 98105, USA

Pine is a MIME news reader?

Post by Dimakopoulos Panagiot » Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> > Hi,

> >       I am trying to read news groups which have 8-bit chars inside
> > (greek characters). However the news articles arrive in 8-bit encoding
> > and not in MIME. With a configuration with some tools that I have set
> > I have managed to send MIME messages to news groups but when I try to
> > read them with pine then I see the original MIME article unencoded.

> >       So my question is if pine as a news reader can post and read
> > MIME UseNet news articles.

> Pine, as distributed by UW, does support MIME news reading and
> posting.  However, I noticed that you are running a modified version
> of Pine, which may have different behavior.  Check with the author of
> whatever patches you are using for details.

> BTW, the current Pine 3.92 release has a feature that allows you to
> post 8-bit text, thus avoiding Quoted-Printable encoding in newsgroups
> that don't like MIME.....

> |/ |_ |  |  Software Engineer, Pine Development Team   (206) 685-4045 (FAX)
> University of Washington, Networks & Distributed Computing, JE-20
> 4545 15th Ave NE, Seattle WA 98105, USA

I have to insist on my original posting even with the new pine 3.92.
When I do news posting either the

            [ ]  enable-8bit-nntp-posting

is set or not there is the strange situation where the news article
arrives on the nntp server with the Subject encoded in MIME (rfc1522)
and the body in 8bit text. Of course I have checked that the data
arrives in this form by vi'ing the file which keeps the article on
the nntp server where the news for out Net is kept.

Could you please tell me if I am missing something?

Thank you,

           | COMPUTER TECHNOLOGY INSTITUTE                      |
           | P.O. Box 1122                                      |
           | 261 10 Patras, Greece                              |
           | Tel (+30) 61 992061, 994317    Fax (+30) 61 993973 |

1. Wanted: Standalone MIME compliant News and/or Mail reader

Hi

I'm currently using FI Mail and NewsWin. I'm looking for a new mime
compliant mail reader. Can anyone recommend some shareware application,
if not some thing I can buy for less than $50.

I'm also looking for a new Newsreader, my NewsWin can't handle the very
long list of newsgroups that is now on my SPs server.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
--
Afam Edozie
Tel: +44 (0)171 839 1222

http://www.marketing4technology.com/

2. Info-Atari16 Digest V86 #24

3. Need JIS reader for Pine/MIME, please...?

4. Interrupts

5. Any work being done on a treading Pine news reader?

6. Pine, XBiff, and Icons?

7. pine as news reader problem

8. Developing a Component library

9. Pine News Reader

10. Configuring Pine 3.89 As A News Reader

11. pine 3.96 news reader bug

12. Pine as a News Reader

13. PC Pine as POP3 mail/news reader?