Help! Odd sendmail -bi errors.

Post by Don Diet » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

# sendmail -bi
WARNING: writable directory /var/spool
WARNING: writable directory /var/spool/mqueue
WARNING: writable directory /etc
WARNING: writable directory /etc
WARNING: writable directory /etc
WARNING: writable directory /etc
WARNING: writable directory /etc
/etc/aliases: 71 aliases, longest 696 bytes, 2451 bytes total

I'm trying to determine the cause of these error messages that I've
recently begun to
receive when trying to update my aliases database.  I've compared
directory rights
and ownerships already to a similar system, and they are all the same.
Could it be
some type of error in the aliases syntax that is causing the problem?
What do I look for?

Oh, the sendmail is running on an IBM AIX system version 3.2.5.

73 de Donald Dietz, N3KFH

Help! Odd sendmail -bi errors.

Post by (A. Rich » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

n3kfh> I'm trying to determine the cause of these error messages that
n3kfh> I've recently begun to receive when trying to update my aliases
n3kfh> database.  I've compared directory rights and ownerships
n3kfh> already to a similar system, and they are all the same.  Could
n3kfh> it be some type of error in the aliases syntax that is causing
n3kfh> the problem?  What do I look for?

Sendmail likes to have your system more secure than IBM does.
Sendmail will warn you if there are any group or publically writeable
directories in the paths that it is concerned about.  Generally, there
is no reason that these directories should be group writable, and most
security conscious people will disable that write permission on
anything that does not need it.

Try picking up the tiger software and running it on your system.  I'm
sure it will come up with a lot of overpermissioned directories and
files.  To know what to fix, though, you more or less have to have a
good idea of what your system REALLY needs to run as opposed to the
blanket ``permission to everyone'' approach that software designers
take.

--

Unix Systems Administration Consultant          12 Hines way
http://www.oceanwave.com/                       Marblehead, MA  01945

Help! Odd sendmail -bi errors.

Post by Giuseppe Lo Biond » Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> # sendmail -bi
> WARNING: writable directory /var/spool
> WARNING: writable directory /var/spool/mqueue
> WARNING: writable directory /etc
> WARNING: writable directory /etc
> WARNING: writable directory /etc
> WARNING: writable directory /etc
> WARNING: writable directory /etc
> /etc/aliases: 71 aliases, longest 696 bytes, 2451 bytes total

> I'm trying to determine the cause of these error messages that I've
> recently begun to
> receive when trying to update my aliases database.  I've compared
> directory rights
> and ownerships already to a similar system, and they are all the same.

new versions (above 8.7) of sendmail take care of directory permissions.
since sendmail trusts sendmail.cf and everything inside the mqueue directory
this directoryes should not be writable from anyone but root.
Maybe other version of sendmail you have installed on other computers
are proprietary or older.

                        GL

1. sendmail-8.8.6 -bi error

: Attemping to build the alias db using sendmail 8.8.6 on AIX 3.2.5 and I
: get the following error:

: ./sendmail -bi
: hash map "Alias0": unsafe map file /etc/aliases: Permission denied
: WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/aliases
: Cannot create database for alias file /etc/aliases: No such device

: Thanks in advance for any help.
: Matt Foss
Same problem in 8.8.7. the only way I got around it was to use the sendmail binary from my 8.8.5 dist, rename it to newaliases and it works now.

smitty

2. Read-only strings in a DLL

3. sendmail -bi and YP alias map (help?)

4. IGS router question

5. Odd address family error in sendmail 8.6.9

6. hypertext/hypermedia on HCI guidelines

7. Odd sendmail error

8. Compression

9. problem with sendmail -v -bi

10. newaliases/ sendmail -bi have not run ! URGENT !!!

11. sendmail (8.11.3) -bi -on - not checking aliases

12. newaliases (sendmail -bi) problem in 8.9.3?

13. sendmail -bi thinks there's no space left, but there is!