Sendmail 'hanging' on "mail from:" and "rcpt to:"

Sendmail 'hanging' on "mail from:" and "rcpt to:"

Post by Vanja Hrusti » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have a small problem with sendmail.

Some users have reported that sendmail 'hangs' when they try to send a
mail. Sometimes it lasts for 2 minutes. It usually hangs after 'mail
from:' and 'rcpt to:' lines have been sent. I was not able to reproduce
the problem.

Now, what bothers me is:

FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')
FEATURE(`accept_unqualified_senders')

I have this in my config. However, does this still mean that sendmail
will try to resolve EVERY domain? And if it can't resolve, it will send
anyway (because of these 2 'features')?

Is there any way to tell to sendmail not to resolve domains when it's
accepting the mail on port 25, but to queue the mail immediately, and
then to resolve when it tries to send a mail out of a queue?

The mail server is internal (meaning: outsiders can't access/see it), so
I am not concerned about spamming and similar issues. Any help is
welcome.

Thanks in advance.

--

Vanja Hrustic
The Relay Group

Post by Neil W Ricker » Tue, 07 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>I have a small problem with sendmail.
>Some users have reported that sendmail 'hangs' when they try to send a
>mail. Sometimes it lasts for 2 minutes. It usually hangs after 'mail
>from:' and 'rcpt to:' lines have been sent. I was not able to reproduce
>the problem.

That sounds like a DNS timeout.

You might be able to reduce DNS delays with

FEATURE(`nocanonify')

always provided that you can live with the other side effects of this
change.

Quote:>Now, what bothers me is:
>FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')
>FEATURE(`accept_unqualified_senders')
>I have this in my config. However, does this still mean that sendmail
>will try to resolve EVERY domain? And if it can't resolve, it will send
>anyway (because of these 2 'features')?

Those features should turn off the attempt to resolve during the
check_mail processing.  However, unless you use `nocanonify', there
will be an attempt to resolve elsewhere in the processing.

Quote:>Is there any way to tell to sendmail not to resolve domains when it's
>accepting the mail on port 25, but to queue the mail immediately, and
>then to resolve when it tries to send a mail out of a queue?

FEATURE(`nocanonify') will do roughly that.

1. "RCPT TO:" and/or "RCPT TO:"

Terribly sorry if this doesn't belong here, but:
Upon finding a bug in our SMTP client program, I was wondering:
"Do(es) the RFC(s) specify whether RCPT and TO:  (SMTP) are allowed to be
separated by more than one space character?

What happened was that we had two spaces
(typo of original programmer)
between RCPT and TO:. This program has been in use
(with a single SMTP server only) for years now, but
started to give/get numerous 503 errors (bad sequence).
This was because of  "a" virus scanner (scanning outgoing mail) that
didn't recognize our "RCPT  TO:" whereas a number of
SMTP servers we had tested this with had no problems with that at all.
I've corrected this to a single space of course, but would like to
know who was right?

Thanks for your time, Jorik.

2. AUTOLisp Point Input Rout

3. "T <regex>" Before ";d' & "$", whichOnesARE tagged?

4. DHCP sets strange domain name

5. Pine 4.31, "Setup", "Config", ..., "?" gives "Illegal instruction"

6. download address book from Palm ?

7. Lag in "rcpt to:" and "mail from"

8. PCMCIA 600/1200 what type

9. "Mail to" link won't open "New Message" window (OE 5.01)

10. RFC and "To:" vs "Rcpt:"

11. Can't Do "Forwards" or "Replies" with Outlook Express

12. DON'T OPEN Message from "Nobody" ("I found a website....")

13. "@" in outgoing address changing to "-" or "#"