No message visable

Post by Tracy Gedi » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 22:39:26

I am using Internet mail.  For the past number of months, I have been
receiving e-mails from friends with nothing in the message area.  The
address, subject are there but no message.  It only happens with certain
Hotmail addresses (not all).  These are all addresses which I have
previously had no difficulties then all of a sudden this happened. If I
open the mail in Hotmail then I can read them.  It is only in Internet
Mail, where they come up blank.

I've tried changing the options but that only seems to affect outgoing
mail.

I read the suggestion to open File, Properties, Details, Message and
that helped but I wondered if there is something permanent I can do to
avoid this problem.

Thanks,
Tracy

No message visable

Post by Michael Santove » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:57:49

With the blank e-mail and news posts, try File, Properties, Details, Message Source.  You may
be able to see the message text.  You may also see the message if you start a Reply (less
reliable).

If the sender is using Netscape version 4 and some other mail programs,  and selected HTML
format, Microsoft IE3 Internet Mail and News get confused and do not display the message text.
If the sender switches to Plain Text, the problem will go away.  Alternately, if the Netscape 4
sender selects: Format, Page Color and Properties, Select a Color, that may make the message
visible in the IE3 Internet Mail.

The problem is that the IE3 Internet Mail and News expects the message text for HTML to be
between <BODY> </BODY> tags.  Netscape mail doesn't normally send these.  So Internet Mail and
News finds the HTML message, but it doesn't find the text.  Selecting a Page Color in Netscape
causes it to create a <BODY> tag since that's where the color parameter goes.

Microsoft Outlook Express (comes with IE4 and above) does a better job of reading the HTML
messages.