procmail quick start

Post by Doug Youn » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:19:47

I've been wading through the Nancy McGough 'Procmail Quick Start'
at http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/ & finding it quite
worthwhile. Unlike the vast majority of technical documentation out there,
this thing is actually written in simple english & even more surprising, it
appears that the writer has not assumed the reader has a particularly
high level of experience. Interestingly for a confirmed MCP, the only
other documentation I've read lately that has been even halfway intelligible
(cgi101) was also written by a person of the fair gender.

1. UPDATED: Procmail Quick Start

My "Procmail Quick Start" is a major rewrite of the Procmail
section of the "Filtering Mail FAQ." I just updated it so that it
now more clearly (I hope!) describes how to use Procmail's
special ^TO_ expression. I've also added some more information on
regular expressions. There are lots of other tweaks throughout
the document. Here is the outline:

 * Overview
 * Terms Used in this Article
 * Strategies
   + Modularize and Plug & Play
   + Stick to a Style
 * Step by Step Through Setting Up and Testing Procmail
   + Is Procmail on Your System?
   + Set Up Procmail Files for Testing
   + Test Your Procmail Setup
   + Create Recipes to Sort Mailing List Messages
 * Accessing Your Message Folders
 * Understanding Procmail Recipes
 * Tracking Your Incoming Messages
 * Pulling the Plug on Procmail
 * Troubleshooting
   + Look at Your Log File
   + Look for Typos
   + Check File and Directory Permissions
   + Turn on Full Logging
   + Try Alternate .forward Files
 * Getting More Procmail Information
 * Thanks
 * Author Blurb for the Book
 * Questions

It is mirrored at:

 Primary: http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
 Backup: http://www.best.com/~ii/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

Feedback is welcome!

--
?Nancy McGough          http://www.ii.com         Infinite Ink
--= Sent via PINE 4.20: Internet News & Email for Win/Unix =--

2. VS.NET Install - FrontPage Extensions Problem

3. Procmail Quick Start pointer (& some questions)

4. Old SGI model 3210's

5. REVISED & HTMLIZED: Procmail Quick Start

6. Combo box question

7. quick start newsgroup posting from command line

8. Need help with CGI and MSVC++ 6.0

9. need quick procmail help

10. quick question on procmail forwarding

11. Quick Procmail question

12. Procmail started script can't write to file!

13. can't get procmail started