Outlook Express: "Individual To" vs "Group To"

Outlook Express: "Individual To" vs "Group To"

Post by R Morri » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:34:53

When sending a message to many recipients, normal Outlook
Express functioning exposes the names of all these
recipients to each individual.
The most pressing missing functionality in Outlook Express
for me is the lack of an "individual to" function...
whereby email could be sent to many participants, but each
recipient only sees his individual name on his mail.
Do you know of a workaround to squeeze this functionality
out of Outlook Express without manually addressing the
same message to each recipient?
Bob

Outlook Express: "Individual To" vs "Group To"

Post by Michael Santove » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:41:14

Suggestions on using a mailing list in Outlook Express:
 - In the Address book select New Group, give it a name (e.g. Bob's Mailing List BCC), and then
use Select Members to add the desired contacts to the group
 - In the Address book select New Contact, give it a name (e.g. Bob's Mailing List) and enter
your own e-mail address
 - When you want to send to the list, in the TO field select the "Bob's Mailing List" entry and
in the BCC field select the "Bob's Mailing List BCC" group.  Recipients will see "Bob's Mailing
List" in the TO field (which looks better than "Undisclosed Recipients" which sounds like
spam), they will not see the name or address of any of the people in the list and you will get
a copy of the message.
(With OE5+ you have to check the option to View, All Headers in a Mail composition window in
order to see the BCC field.)

If you want each person's name, and only their name, to appear in the TO field, you need to
send a separate message to each person.  That is the nature of mail on the Internet.  When you
send one piece of mail to multiple people, they all get identical TO and CC fields.  The only
way to get unique TO and/or CC fields is to send separate messages.  There are some bulk mailer
programs designed for this.  You might try the shareware sites.  There are links to shareware
sites in the URL in my signature.  Also, Outlook2000 can do this as part of an e-mail/merge.

>When sending a message to many recipients, normal Outlook
>Express functioning exposes the names of all these
>recipients to each individual.
>The most pressing missing functionality in Outlook Express
>for me is the lack of an "individual to" function...
>whereby email could be sent to many participants, but each
>recipient only sees his individual name on his mail.
>Do you know of a workaround to squeeze this functionality
>out of Outlook Express without manually addressing the
>same message to each recipient?
>Bob

1. outlook Express "View" ""COLUMNS""

I have Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400  .
The VIEW in Columns keeps changing.   In the INBOX I
set  "from" (and uncheck  "to") .  In the OUTBOX I
set "TO" (and uncheck "FROM")  Move them all to the TOP.

What happens is that it changes by itself and in the INBOX
sets the COLUMN "TO"  and in the OUTBOX "FROM".

It only occurs in the sub folders in the INBOX and OUTBOX

Would appreciate help in solving this annoying problem.

2. Any thoughts on the Reno CD-ROM?

3. Pine 4.31, "Setup", "Config", ..., "?" gives "Illegal instruction"

4. Telnet QoS

5. Can't Do "Forwards" or "Replies" with Outlook Express

6. Inputting parameters automatically into parts and asms

7. "@" in outgoing address changing to "-" or "#"

8. AT&T Partner live on-hook. Why???

9. OCX (OLE Automation) of "Internet mail" or "outlook express" ?

10. How to prevent users from "group" replying to "allusers" alias?

11. "cc" vs. "Cc"

12. /etc/init.d/sendmail: MODE="-bd" vs ""

13. "local" vs "aliased" delivery