hiding version number

Post by Christian Hammer » Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:34:27

Hello

Does someone know how to hide sendmail's version number?
I got rid of the greeting and the help already but it still says
        Sendmail 8.11.3 -- HELP not implemented
and will probably show it in the headers, too.

It's not that I wouldn't know that security by obscurity does not work
but it gives me hopefully some time to fix the next root exploit :-)

thanks,

 -christian-

hiding version number

Post by Suresh Ramasubramani » Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:40:16

Christian Hammers proclaimed on comp.mail.sendmail that:

Quote:> Does someone know how to hide sendmail's version number?

Security by obscurity?  Anyway define confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG to whatever you want.

Quote:> It's not that I wouldn't know that security by obscurity does not work
> but it gives me hopefully some time to fix the next root exploit :-)

What root exploit?  Nothing's come up in sendmail for quite some time (the last
one was a linux kernel bug with 8.9.3)

        -s

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + Wallopus Malletus Indigenensis

hiding version number

Post by Jem Berke » Mon, 16 Apr 2001 03:20:32

Quote:> > It's not that I wouldn't know that security by obscurity does not work
> > but it gives me hopefully some time to fix the next root exploit :-)

> What root exploit?  Nothing's come up in sendmail for quite some time (the last
> one was a linux kernel bug with 8.9.3)

Still... for me, anyway, it's the most complex daemon running as root.
That's gotta make anyone nervous.

I played around with making it run non-root but there were problems
(sending mail locally, and sending to root)

--
http://www.pc-tools.net/
DOS, Win32, Linux software

hiding version number

Post by Lord Apollyo » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:47:46

> Hello

> Does someone know how to hide sendmail's version number?

You need to patch the source (I remove version numbers from my exposed
daemons as well).

Of course, obscuring the version numbers is not even a pretense at a
complete security solution, but one minor tool.

Look for the help() function in srvrsmtp.c

=Rob=

--
The reply-to-address is *REAL* and will expire on 0:01 1-June-2001.
HTML emails will be bounced UNREAD.  You've been warned.