New to all this

Post by Wes Smit » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 01:04:47

Okay, so I'm a techno-neophyte. I've installed Netmeeting, and I want to use it
to call a friend's phone in another state. Following the directions in the help
guide, I went to advanced options and selected gateway, typing in my own
computer's name.  When I tried to make a call, I got a message that I'm trying to
call my own computer, something I can't imagine anyone wanting to do, seeing as
how you're usually sitting in front of it and don't need a fancy program to cuss
at it just fine.

I looked around, but I can't find anything that will tell me even the most
rudimentary basics, like: what the heck is a gateway, or a gatekeeper, for that
matter, or a MCU, assuming I want to talk to more than one person at a time
(well, the program is called NetMEETING for a reason, isn't it?). Why do I need
these things, and how do I get one or more of them?

Please, assume you're talking to a five-year old. Not because I am; I just feel
like one right now.  If you can tell me where to look, I'll be happy to do the
research. If this program isn't suited to my needs, please let me know that too.

Thanks in Advance,

Wes Smith

New to all this

Post by Eric A. Eise » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:36:20

Wes: I share your frustration. I'm in a similar boat; think of myself as
reasonably intelligent and can't get NetMeeting to do anything......
Well, not much. I figured out you can telephone someone by clicking on
View/Diaplad and then dialing the number.
I'm more mystified about how people reach me and how I reach other people.
As near as I figured out, I'm the only person with netmeeting in the world,
but that just doesn't seem likely.
I secured a "passport," got a hotlail account and downloaded MSN messenger
service, none of which I really want; I just want to use netmeetings for,
well, meetings. Am I missing something?

[...]

Post by Brian Sullivan - NetMeeting MV » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:47:36

Quote:> Wes: I share your frustration. I'm in a similar boat; think of myself as
> reasonably intelligent and can't get NetMeeting to do anything......
> Well, not much. I figured out you can telephone someone by clicking on
> View/Diaplad and then dialing the number.
> I'm more mystified about how people reach me and how I reach other people.
> As near as I figured out, I'm the only person with netmeeting in the
world,
> but that just doesn't seem likely.
> I secured a "passport," got a hotlail account and downloaded MSN messenger
> service, none of which I really want; I just want to use netmeetings for,
> well, meetings. Am I missing something?

http://www.meetingbywire.com/NetMeeting101.htm has a discussion of call
initiation strategies in NetMeeting -- perhaps the information you are
missing is there.

New to all this

Post by Raymond A. Madison, S » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 02:47:31

Eric-

Using MSN Messenger with NM works fine, it's just that the person you want
to contact has to have the same setup. Put me in your contact list, and I'll

also enter the address of an ILS server (ils.bytebeam.com, for example) in
your directory window & log on. You'll get a few calls, or you can pull up
the directory and see who's logged in & call them. You cal also log on to
www.netmeetinghq.com, get full instructions and a list of ils servers &
their status & call someone from there.

--
Raymond A. Madison, Sr

[...]