Configure Pine to use same IMAP connection for all mailboxes?

Configure Pine to use same IMAP connection for all mailboxes?

Post by Steve » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I have Pine configured to access multiple incoming mail folders on my
IMAP server.  Being the system manager of the IMAP server (<grin>), I can
review the connection logs.  I notice that Pine seems to be establishing
a new connection (including login) each time I move between folders.
Is there a way to cut-down on this, so that Pine logs in only once and
uses the same connection regardless of which folder I'm looking at?
The current method seems like something of a network waste.

--
    Steve Coile           P a t r i o t  N e t      Systems Engineering

Configure Pine to use same IMAP connection for all mailboxes?

Post by David L Mille » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I have Pine configured to access multiple incoming mail folders on my
> IMAP server.  Being the system manager of the IMAP server (<grin>), I can
> review the connection logs.  I notice that Pine seems to be establishing
> a new connection (including login) each time I move between folders.
> Is there a way to cut-down on this, so that Pine logs in only once and
> uses the same connection regardless of which folder I'm looking at?
> The current method seems like something of a network waste.

Pine will keep the connection to your INBOX open, but does try to
limit the number of additional connections by reusing an already open
stream for other folders.  If Pine doesn't think it has an available
stream to the next folder to open, it will close the current
connection and open a new one.  You might check the .pine-debug file
to see if it gives any clues...

--

Software Engineer, Pine Development Team | learn. To the Master's honor all
Box 354841, University of Washington     | must turn, each in its track,

Configure Pine to use same IMAP connection for all mailboxes?

Post by Terry Gr » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Steve,
Pine 4.x will take advantage of the STATUS command in the IMAP4rev1 spec
to cut down on the number of separate sessions.  This should help quite a
bit; however, it will always be necessary to open an additional stream
when a second folder is actually opened, as the INBOX stream is always
kept open.   (And IMAP sessions can only have one folder open at a time;
i.e. it relies on TCP's multiplexing abilities, rather than defining
--reinventing-- such capabilities in the application protocol.)

It's true that this does result in some additional authentication
overhead, however.

-teg

> I have Pine configured to access multiple incoming mail folders on my
> IMAP server.  Being the system manager of the IMAP server (<grin>), I can
> review the connection logs.  I notice that Pine seems to be establishing
> a new connection (including login) each time I move between folders.
> Is there a way to cut-down on this, so that Pine logs in only once and
> uses the same connection regardless of which folder I'm looking at?
> The current method seems like something of a network waste.

> --
>     Steve Coile           P a t r i o t  N e t      Systems Engineering

1. Connections to IMAP server using PINE

We've got a seperate mail server running IMAP, and we use pine to get
our mail.  Well, this sucks because it takes almost 30 seconds to get
my login/password prompt.  WHY!!!!  Does it ALWAYS take this long, or
are we doing something wrong?  The machines are physically next to
eachother, and we have twisted pair going right to it, and traceroute
yields a 2.0ns access time.  What's going on?  How do we fix it?

Please e-mail responses.

Peter
--
Peter Beckman                          The Apartment, Alexandria, VA

2. Viper 330 locks-up Win2k

3. Configure UW Imap with .Mailbox and ~/Mail folders ...tried but failing

4. Passing bootclasspath parameter to Java 1.2 Plug-in

5. How do I configure imap to work well with NeXTMail mailboxes?

6. Anyone try Arc8 on W2000 yet?

7. How the *hell* do you configure Pine to use MH-style mailboxes?!

8. CSI UDS "Uniform Drawing System"

9. How to configure IMAP in Pine

10. Configuring Pine for Cyrus IMAP

11. using trash mailbox with IMAP

12. Can't mail local users using external IMAP mailbox

13. using imap to access remote mailbox with different account name