Quick Procmail question

Post by Terry Rataicza » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Can anyone give me a quick procmail script that will remove any sender
information (from, etc...) and for the resulting message to an alias?  I
want to offer my company a e-mail address where that can submit compaints
anonymously and want to prove to them that it is anonymous.  Thanks for any
help!

Terry Rataiczak

Quick Procmail question

Post by era eriksso » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 18:39:20 GMT, "Terry Rataiczak"

 > Can anyone give me a quick procmail script that will remove any
 > sender information (from, etc...) and for the resulting message to
 > an alias? I want to offer my company a e-mail address where that
 > can submit compaints anonymously and want to prove to them that it
 > is anonymous. Thanks for any help!

You don't really need Procmail for this, just put the script directly
in the alias expansion.

    | formail -k -XSubject: -XTo: | /usr/lib/sendmail -oi destination

With Procmail, you could avoid invoking Sendmail a second time,
though, and don't need a second alias to forward to as the ultimate
destination. (The formail part could be done in sed instead if you're
careful.) But as usual, Procmail is a good wrapper to use around this
in case something blows up. On the other hand, Procmail encapsulates
what's going on and makes it easy to change the behavior of the alias
kind of quickly, so if accountability is important, you might want to
use just an alias.

/* era */

--
 * Sign the European spam petition! <http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/en/> *
.obBotBait: It shouldn't even matter whether    <http://www.iki.fi/~era/>

Quick Procmail question

Post by Collin Pa » Mon, 15 Mar 1999 04:00:00

: Can anyone give me a quick procmail script that will remove any sender
: information (from, etc...) and for the resulting message to an alias?  I
Here-------------------------^^^^^^^
do you mean "and forward" the resulting ...?

: want to offer my company a e-mail address where that can submit compaints
: anonymously and want to prove to them that it is anonymous.  Thanks for any
: help!

How about the following:

:0
* Some_Criterion_If_You_Like
{
    :0 fhw
    | formail -I From -I Return-Path -I Reply-to -I Sender -I Resent \
      -I Message-id -I Received -I X- -I Date -I Status -I To -I cc

    :0
    ! Anonymized_Complaint_Destination

Quote:}

This recipe will remove all kinds of headers which might be identifying
marks of the sender (e.g., Received, or Message-Id, which typically
include the sending system name).

The other thing, of course, is that you have to turn off mail logging
on the system where this thing is happening -- so that there won't
be a bunch of messages like

    Mar 15 08:29:04 hostname sendmail[pid]: xxxx: to="|IFS+'       '&&exec /usr/local/bin/procmail -f- ||exit 75 #anonymous.complaints", delay=xx:xx, xdelay=yy:yy, mailer=prog, stat=Sent
    Mar 15 08:29:10 hostname sendmail[pid]: xxxx: done
    Mar 15 08:29:11 hostname sendmail[pid]: xxxy: from=<anonymous.complaints>, size=xxxx, class=x, pri=x, nrcpts=1, msgid=<xxx>, proto=SMTP, relay=anonymous.complaints

by which a nosy person might correlate ID xxxy with xxxx since they were
processed at just about the same time, etc., and therefore decide that
a message xxxy was a repackaging of the message from mortimer.snerd received
11 seconds earlier....

i hope this is helpful
collin
the above is not a statement of my employer, etc.

1. Procmail Quick Start pointer (& some questions)

I just did a fairly major update of my Procmail Quick Start and I'd
appreciate feedback on this latest incarnation. Here is the new
outline:

 * Overview
  * Terms Used in this Article
  * Strategies
    + Modularize and Plug & Play
    + Stick to a Style
  * Step by Step Through Setting Up and Testing Procmail
    1. Is Procmail on Your System?
    2. Set Up Procmail Files for Testing
    3. Test Your Procmail Setup
    4. Create Recipes to Sort Mailing List Messages
  * Understanding Procmail Recipes
  * Tracking Your Incoming Messages
  * Accessing Your Message Folders
  * Pulling the Plug on Procmail
  * Troubleshooting
    + General Strategies
    + Alternate .forward Files
  * Getting More Procmail Information
  * Thanks
  * Author Blurb for the Book

Here is where you can find it:

 Primary: http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
 Backup: http://www.best.com/~ii/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

MY QUESTIONS
------------
* Do my definitions of "string" and "word" make sense and do the use
  of these words in the article make sense?

* I now use yes/no rather than on/off for the VERBOSE settings. Do
  older versions of procmail support yes/no? (I changed this so it
  is consistent with LOGABSTRACT's all/no settings. But maybe I should
  use on/off for VERBOSE and all/off for LOGABSTRACT -- opinions?)

* Does anyone have any idea when the next release of procmail will be?
  Since this will be published in a book I'd like to say that 3.13.1
  is the latest release as of <some date in the future> (rather than
  as of today).

* Is $HOME/nsmail the default folder directory for Netscape Messenger?

* What is the default folder directory for other mailers?

* What do you think is the best command for people to try first in
  their .forward file? Is what I've got in step 2G the best?

* In "Understanding Procmail Recipes" I discuss messages that are
  Bcc'd to a list and how the ^TO_ header will often not catch these
  messages. Does this section make sense to you? Any suggestions for
  how to write this more clearly?

* On some systems the .forward file will not be used if it is world
  writable. Is this the case on *all* systems?

Thanks for your feedback,
Nancy

--
?Nancy McGough       http://www.ii.com       Infinite Ink
--= Sent via PINE: Internet News & Email for Win/Unix =--

2. Looking for CDROM Emulator

3. quick question on procmail forwarding

4. calling script during XSL Transformation

5. need quick procmail help

6. Performance Data Helper (PDH)

7. REVISED & HTMLIZED: Procmail Quick Start

8. FA on Ebay: Sun Sparc 5 170Mhz 64MB RAM TGX CD

9. procmail quick start

10. UPDATED: Procmail Quick Start

11. Quick question about "Profiles" in IMN

12. Outlook Express----HELP ! (quick question)

13. Quick Question