Not the usual problem

Post by Jon » Thu, 29 May 2003 18:29:28

OE keeps removing my access to attachments I am sent.  I
can open the email but not any attachments with them.
It's not the following as I have unchecked the
appropriate box.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329570

Anyone have any other ideas.

Regards - Jon

Not the usual problem

Post by Michael Santove » Fri, 30 May 2003 03:02:40

Is it actually say that
OE removed access to the unsafe attachments in your email
or is something else happening?

If it is giving you that specific message and you've unchecked the box indicated here
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/oe-attach.gif

Then it may be necessary to edit the registry to change that option in the following key.
The {userid} is a unique value for your identity.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{userid}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Mail
"Safe Attachments"=dword:00000000

Quote:> OE keeps removing my access to attachments I am sent.  I
> can open the email but not any attachments with them.
> It's not the following as I have unchecked the
> appropriate box.

> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329570

> Anyone have any other ideas.

> Regards - Jon

Not the usual problem

Post by Jon » Fri, 30 May 2003 14:17:14

If Michael Santovec reads this (or anyone else who can
help please) you asked :

Question

Is it actually say that
OE removed access to the unsafe attachments in your email
or is something else happening?

Answer

It doesn't actually say anything.  I click on the
attachment which changes colour to shows it's been
hightlighted but no action occurs, nor does any message
come up.

Question

If it is giving you that specific message and you've
unchecked the box indicated here
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/oe-attach.gif

Answer

I've unchecked the Tools, Options, Security, 'Do not
allow attachments to be saved or opened that could
potentially be a virus' box.

Question

Then it may be necessary to edit the registry to change
that option in the following key.
The {userid} is a unique value for your identity.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{userid}
\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Mail
"Safe Attachments"=dword:00000000

Answer

I've looked in Registry and can't find the above line!!

Below is my original posting:

Post by Chaz » Sat, 31 May 2003 09:12:20

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>If Michael Santovec reads this (or anyone else who can
>help please) you asked :

>Question

>Is it actually say that
>OE removed access to the unsafe attachments in your email
>or is something else happening?

>Answer

>It doesn't actually say anything.  I click on the
>attachment which changes colour to shows it's been
>hightlighted but no action occurs, nor does any message
>come up.

>Question

>If it is giving you that specific message and you've
>unchecked the box indicated here
>http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/oe-attach.gif

>Answer

>I've unchecked the Tools, Options, Security, 'Do not
>allow attachments to be saved or opened that could
>potentially be a virus' box.

>Question

>Then it may be necessary to edit the registry to change
>that option in the following key.
>The {userid} is a unique value for your identity.
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{userid}
>\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Mail
>"Safe Attachments"=dword:00000000

>Answer

>I've looked in Registry and can't find the above line!!

Jon, you looked into the registry and that line wasn't
there? Very unusual!!

Are you familiar with working within the registry?

If that line isn't there, you might try to uninstall and
re-install Outlook Express, (are you having any
difficulty with Internet Explorer, by the way?)

Chazz
MCP, MOS.
Keep your message clear; GOD listens.
Unsolicited email ignored.

Quote:

>Below is my original posting:

>OE keeps removing my access to attachments I am sent.  I
>can open the email but not any attachments with them.
>It's not the following as I have unchecked the
>appropriate box.

>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329570

>Anyone have any other ideas.

>Regards - Jon
>.

Not the usual problem

Post by Michael Santove » Sat, 31 May 2003 09:28:12

If you double click a message to open in it's own window, OE displays the "removed access"
message in the attachments box if that setting is the issue.  If you use the paper clip in
the Preview Pane, the file name is "faded" is that setting is causing the problem.

If that's not the case, can you use File, Save Attachments to save the attachments?
If that works and you then double click the save file from the Windows File explorer, does
that work?

If both of those work, then the issue could be a corrupted browser cache.  That's where OE
saves a temporary copy of the attachments for opening.  Try clearing it.
IE5+: Tools, Internet Options, General, Temporary Internet Files, Delete Files
Temporary Internet Files Use More Disk Space Than Specified
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=301057

If you can save the attachments, but can't open the saved attachment, then issue is likely
your Windows File Associations for that type of file.  See the Identifying Attachment File
Types and Setting File Associations section of
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/decode.htm

Quote:> If Michael Santovec reads this (or anyone else who can
> help please) you asked :

> Question

> Is it actually say that
> OE removed access to the unsafe attachments in your email
> or is something else happening?

> Answer

> It doesn't actually say anything.  I click on the
> attachment which changes colour to shows it's been
> hightlighted but no action occurs, nor does any message
> come up.

> Question

> If it is giving you that specific message and you've
> unchecked the box indicated here
> http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/oe-attach.gif

> Answer

> I've unchecked the Tools, Options, Security, 'Do not
> allow attachments to be saved or opened that could
> potentially be a virus' box.

> Question

> Then it may be necessary to edit the registry to change
> that option in the following key.
> The {userid} is a unique value for your identity.
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{userid}
> \Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Mail
> "Safe Attachments"=dword:00000000

> Answer

> I've looked in Registry and can't find the above line!!

> Below is my original posting:

> OE keeps removing my access to attachments I am sent.  I
> can open the email but not any attachments with them.
> It's not the following as I have unchecked the
> appropriate box.

> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329570

> Anyone have any other ideas.

> Regards - Jon

1. usual problem of ME not being able to see others!

so - they can see me....i CANT SEE ANYONE:(
*I* can call them, they can't call me......

i have a local network, fixed IP, the administrator says proxies are turned
off....

what do i do then???

PLEASE, Im a desperate chick who wants to see some friendly faces!!:)

--marta
ps preferebly replies by email????:)

2. -- looking for 'Commo' --

3. A sendmail relay problem -- different from the usual relay problems

4. Godd learn HTML book.

5. Not the usual "timeout waiting for input"

6. New-age CMM questions

7. not the usual readonly mailbox

8. FS Amiga 1000

9. netmeetserver just for usual talk?

10. Eudora 4.3 installer: 'usual' trouble on no-US systems

11. "Group writable directory" (a really dumb question, as usual)

12. problem: "553 Requested action not taken: mailbox name not allowed"

13. Email if user not connected or does not respond...problem?