Subfolders - UW-IMAP 4.6, Red Hat Linux release 6.0.

Subfolders - UW-IMAP 4.6, Red Hat Linux release 6.0.

Post by Steve Sob » Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello:

I am using the UW IMAP 4.6 RPM that ships with Red Hat 6.0.

Whenever I try to create a subfolder under Inbox, either with Netscape 4.61
or Outlook Express 4.72.2106.4 (the version that ships with IE 4.01), I get
told I can't do it. In Netscape's New Folder dialog box, the Inbox folder is
disabled. Outlook Express doesn't disable Inbox, but instead says this when
I try to create the folder:

        You cannot create folders under "INBOX". This is a limitation
        of your server.

        A folder on this server can either contain folders or messages,
        but not both.

I am using the standard Unix mailbox format (the mailbox is a flat text
file with the 'From ' header marking each new message). I checked, and indeed
the UW docs say that format does not allow subfolders. "mh", "mx" and "news"
do, but I don't know how to implement any of those file formats on my
server. (the docs say mx is buggy, so I don't want to use the mx driver,
but perhaps I could use mh or news).

What's the best file format to use if I want to allow my users to have
hierarchical subfolders, and how do I implement it?

TIA. **SJS

--
North Shore Technologies Corporation http://www.NorthShoreTechnologies.net
We don't just build websites; we build relationships!

Subfolders - UW-IMAP 4.6, Red Hat Linux release 6.0.

Post by Steve Sob » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello:

>I am using the UW IMAP 4.6 RPM that ships with Red Hat 6.0.

>Whenever I try to create a subfolder under Inbox, either with Netscape 4.61
>or Outlook Express 4.72.2106.4 (the version that ships with IE 4.01), I get
>told I can't do it. In Netscape's New Folder dialog box, the Inbox folder is
>disabled. Outlook Express doesn't disable Inbox, but instead says this when
>I try to create the folder:

[ snip ]

Quote:>file with the 'From ' header marking each new message). I checked, and indeed
>the UW docs say that format does not allow subfolders. "mh", "mx" and "news"
>do, but I don't know how to implement any of those file formats on my
>server. (the docs say mx is buggy, so I don't want to use the mx driver,
>but perhaps I could use mh or news).

>What's the best file format to use if I want to allow my users to have
>hierarchical subfolders, and how do I implement it?

Nevermind... I backed up ten yards and punted. Then I downloaded and installed
Cyrus. It works like a charm.

:)

Thanks anyhow.

--
North Shore Technologies Corporation http://www.NorthShoreTechnologies.net
We don't just build websites; we build relationships!
815 Superior Ave. #610, Cleveland, OH 44114-2702 216.619.2NET 888.480.4NET
Host of the Forum for Responsible & Ethical E-mail http://www.spamfree.org

Subfolders - UW-IMAP 4.6, Red Hat Linux release 6.0.

Post by Dale Ponti » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Nevermind... I backed up ten yards and punted. Then I downloaded and installed
> Cyrus. It works like a charm.

Did you find a Cyrus RPM that would cleanly install and authenticate
on RedHat 6? The Cyrus RPM I found on rufus.w3.org didn't handle
shadow passwords. I ended up installing that RPM, then getting the
tarball, rebuilding imapd and pwcheck, and fudging them in. So I
have a half-RPM, half-tarball installation. The pointer to the SRPM
from rufus didn't work. (RedHat's new ftp server?)

I simply wanted to get running, but at some point would like to
clean this * up.

Dale Pontius
DEPontius AT usa DOT net

Post by Steve Sob » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>> Nevermind... I backed up ten yards and punted. Then I downloaded and installed
>> Cyrus. It works like a charm.

>Did you find a Cyrus RPM that would cleanly install and authenticate
>on RedHat 6? The Cyrus RPM I found on rufus.w3.org didn't handle
>shadow passwords. I ended up installing that RPM, then getting the
>tarball, rebuilding imapd and pwcheck, and fudging them in. So I
>have a half-RPM, half-tarball installation. The pointer to the SRPM
>from rufus didn't work. (RedHat's new ftp server?)

>I simply wanted to get running, but at some point would like to
>clean this * up.

I have the source and binary RPMS from contrib.redhat.com and at some
point in the near future, probably before my IMAP server goes live, will
create a turnkey version of the RPM.

--
North Shore Technologies Corporation http://www.veryComputer.com/
Host of the Forum for Responsible & Ethical E-mail http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by xHos » Thu, 09 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>Hello:

>I am using the UW IMAP 4.6 RPM that ships with Red Hat 6.0.

>Whenever I try to create a subfolder under Inbox, either with Netscape 4.61
>or Outlook Express 4.72.2106.4 (the version that ships with IE 4.01), I get
>told I can't do it. In Netscape's New Folder dialog box, the Inbox folder is
>disabled. Outlook Express doesn't disable Inbox, but instead says this when
>I try to create the folder:

I had this same problem but when I disabled
o "Server allows sub-folders ..."

it allowed me to create subfolders in netscape 4.61 .. oh well, must
be a misstyped if ... then

Quote: