problem with forwarded msgs on Suns

Post by Douglas Harv » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi there.  I have recently started using Pine as my mail reader and I like it very much.

Almost everyone else uses the Openwin mailtool as their mail reader and it the problem is
that messages forwarded to me get broken up into multiple messages, making things confusing.

I noticed this same problem when using Eudora, so I am suspecting that Sun is doing
something in a non-standard manner.  I saw in the README for the IMAP server provided
with Pine that it talks about the Content-Length message headers in Sys V, and advises a
change to the 'sendmail.cf' file.  After making this change, the messages start getting broken
up even in the openwin mailtool!

It seems that the problem is the "From " header (not the From: header) is included when I
forward a message in the openwin mailtool, and it is not when using Pine.

My question is, has anyone else run into this problem before, and is there an elegant solution?

Thanks in advance.

--
Douglas Harvey

problem with forwarded msgs on Suns

Post by Paul O Bartlet » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi there.  I have recently started using Pine as my mail reader and I like it very much.

> Almost everyone else uses the Openwin mailtool as their mail reader and it the problem is
> that messages forwarded to me get broken up into multiple messages, making things confusing.
> [...]

    Yes, and your messages also have a problem, please be aware.  Most
of the lines of your message had more than eighty characters per line,
which for many, if not most, readers will cause either ugly and hard
to read waraparound or the need for obnoxious horizontal scrolling.  If
you are using a Macintosh- or Windows-based product, especially, do not
depend on what you see on your display.  Make sure than each line has
not more than 80 (70-72 is better) physical CHARACTERS on each screen
with an end-of-line marker (which is invisible) at the end of each
line.  Your readers will thank you.

Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart

1. forwarded msgs on Suns

Hello.  When viewing messages that have been forwarded
from users that use Openwin mailtool as their mail client,
the forwarded message gets separated into two mail msgs.

It seems that the problem is that the "From " header (as
opposed to the "From: " header) is the problem.  The Sun
mail program includes it when it reads in the message to
be forwarded.

This goofs up pine, and Eudora.  I am not sure about elm.
If I remove the "From " header, all is well.   The message
looks fine (that is, stays together) when viewed in mailtool.

The README for Pine talks about the "Content-Length: "
header and suggests adding the -E option to the Mlocal section
of the 'sendmail.cf' file.  I tried that, and then the msgs
became separated in Openwin mailtool!

My goal is to be able to read openwin-forwarded mail msgs
properly from other mail clients (eg. elm, pine, eudora) without
requiring any change on the part of the Sun users.

Is this possible?  I can't be the only person to have this problem,
can I?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

---
Douglas Harvey

2. MS Frontpage Tables with Varying Desktop Res Settings

3. relay from a Sun to a Sun problems

4. HELP! How do I load a WMF file into my DC

5. sendmail/uucp problems:SUN 4.1:multiple-domains and UUCP forwarding

6. Help. Some client/server questions

7. Printing Problem on Sun Sparc 5/SUN OS 4.1.3U

8. ODBC Problems!!!!

9. Please help problems with Sun sendmail.mx (Sun OS 4.1.3 ) Patch 100377-07

10. Forwarding msgs from excite

11. Forwarding Msgs with Rich Text

12. looking for sendmail mailq tool: delete,forward,bounce msgs