can't mail to virtual domain's off-site mail server

can't mail to virtual domain's off-site mail server

Post by Jerry O'Brie » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

I host a virtual domain that wants to use an off-site mail server.

The problem is: Mail originating from this physical host to

fails if not -- it never tries the remote mail server.

Mail from outside this physical host gets delivered to the remote mail
server correctly.

I entered the following in the my_virt_domain.com DNS as prescribed by the
other mail server:

my_virt_domain.com.   IN   MX 0 sitemail.everyone.net.
freemail.my_virt_domain.com.   IN   CNAME siteurl.everyone.net.

I've removed my_virt_domain.com from:
 /etc/sendmail.cw, /etc/mail/virtusertable, /etc/mail/access, /etc/aliases;
restarted sendmail

Still it delivers locally.

I'm wondering if sendmail is looking up the IP to see if it is local, then
since my_virt_domain.com and localhost share the same MAC address, it
delivers locally.

Or is it something else entirely.

TIA
--

Jerry O'Brien
Network Administrator,

can't mail to virtual domain's off-site mail server

Post by Jerry O'Brie » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

That did it!!  In case anyone else is interested, here's what I put into my
.mc file:

# Don't get local interfaces (virtual domains) into $w
# This means you have to put the ones you want into sendmail.cw manually

define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES', `true')dnl

Thanks Per!

Jerry O'Brien

Post by Per Hedela » Fri, 07 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>I've removed my_virt_domain.com from:
> /etc/sendmail.cw, /etc/mail/virtusertable, /etc/mail/access, /etc/aliases;
>restarted sendmail

>Still it delivers locally.

>I'm wondering if sendmail is looking up the IP to see if it is local, then
>since my_virt_domain.com and localhost share the same MAC address, it
>delivers locally.

Well, sort of - it collects all the local IP addresses and corresponding
names at startup, and puts them in class w (and the MAC address doesn't
enter into the equation) - you can verify this with

echo '$=w' | sendmail -bt

What you probably need is (from cf/README):

confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES  DontProbeInterfaces
                                        [False] If set, sendmail will _not_
                                        insert the names and addresses of any
                                        local interfaces into the $=w class
                                        (list of known "equivalent" addresses).
                                        If you set this, you must also include
                                        some support for these addresses (e.g.,
                                        in a mailertable entry) -- otherwise,
                                        mail to addresses in this list will
                                        bounce with a configuration error.

--Per Hedeland

1. Use Sendmail for an Off-site mail server to connect to ISP's sendmail server

To all Gurus of Sendmail:

I do not know how to configure Sendmail box residing in my office to connect
to my ISP.  The details of the whole senerio is as follows:

Server in my office:
Redhat Linux 6.0 with Sendmail 8.9.3
ISDN Router to connect to ISP

ISP is running Sendmail 8.9.3 and is MXing my mail.

What I need to know is:

1. How do I setup my sendmail box to connect to my ISP every 10mins to send
mail out and to collect mail?

2. Can I do this job by using virtual IPs?  I am afraid using real IPs will
open up a great big security hole.

Any help or pointers will be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

HL

2. irq's

3. some email-accounts don't receive messages from my 'unreal domain' mail server

4. Contacts - ordering

5. HELP: Virtual domain e-mail handler using '.domains'

6. what are MIFs

7. HELP: Virtual domain email handler using '.domains'

8. Outlook & Win2000 incompatibility!!!! HELP!!!!

9. HELP: Virtual domain e-mail handler using '.domains'

10. send from local intranet server w/ no domain name-'domain does not exist'-newbie

11. Server is 'kicking me off'...Can anyone PLEASE help?

12. Domain server stripping 2nd's server's FQDN in "From"