Spam email issue

Post by <mwhit.. » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

How is it possible to receive email from someone where the email message
does not identify the sender's email address?  Up till now one could block
mail from unwanted senders using the Block Sender function in Explorer.
Someone has figured out a way around this very useful feature.  Also, is
there a way to block all email from a certain host, e.g., using wildcards

with email names that begin with what looks like a random selection of
numbers and letters from the alphabet or multiple emails from the
(apparently) the same sender using a different combination each time.
Would appreciate any help you can give on this subject.  Thanks very much!

                      http://www.help.com/

Spam email issue

Post by Scott Arpajia » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

What email program are you using? Outlook Express? Outlook? Eudora? The
filtering capabilities are different for each.

-Scott

> How is it possible to receive email from someone where the email message
> does not identify the sender's email address?  Up till now one could
block
> mail from unwanted senders using the Block Sender function in Explorer.
> Someone has figured out a way around this very useful feature.  Also, is
> there a way to block all email from a certain host, e.g., using
wildcards

> with email names that begin with what looks like a random selection of
> numbers and letters from the alphabet or multiple emails from the
> (apparently) the same sender using a different combination each time.
> Would appreciate any help you can give on this subject.  Thanks very
much!

>                       http://www.help.com/

                      http://www.help.com/

Spam email issue

Post by <mwhit.. » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Am using Outlook Express.  Already know how to create conventional message
rules as well as how to block senders.  The problem is, am now receiving
span messages with no sender identified, just a blank space where the
email address should be.  I don't see how such a message can be sent.
When I tried to block sender on it anyway, Outlook Express rejected my
request to block it for the error that I had not specified the address to
be blocked.  Got a very nice response from someone who advised trying to
control email rather than delete it by specifying up front which email
addresses I expect to receive email from and send all of these to a
special folder, then send "everything else" to another folder to be
deleted periodically.  The problem is for business purposes I will not
always know in advance who will be sending me email.  So I am trying to
find out more sophisticated ways of deleting the unwanted stuff.  Am
curious how someone found a way around having to enter their email address
in messages they have sent, whether these specific types of messages can
be blocked and if I can use (what used to be called in programming)

Can you help or do you have any suggestions where I might look to find
more help on this matter?

Thanks very much!

> What email program are you using? Outlook Express? Outlook? Eudora? The
> filtering capabilities are different for each.

> -Scott

> > How is it possible to receive email from someone where the email
message
> > does not identify the sender's email address?  Up till now one could
> block
> > mail from unwanted senders using the Block Sender function in
Explorer.
> > Someone has figured out a way around this very useful feature.  Also,
is
> > there a way to block all email from a certain host, e.g., using
> wildcards

> > with email names that begin with what looks like a random selection of
> > numbers and letters from the alphabet or multiple emails from the
> > (apparently) the same sender using a different combination each time.
> > Would appreciate any help you can give on this subject.  Thanks very
> much!

> >                       http://www.help.com/

>                       http://www.help.com/

                      http://www.help.com/

Spam email issue

Post by Peter Duc » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> ... The problem is, am now receiving
> span messages with no sender identified, just a blank space where the
> email address should be.  I don't see how such a message can be sent.

Anyone can send mail 'From:' any address or none (though it's
probably against your ISP's A.U.P), and when sent by the right (or
'wrong') software even the 'To:' address *in the msg* is of no great
significance.

To draw an analogy with snail-mail, the msg is actually in an
'envelope', normally discarded when the msg is delivered to you: the
delivery-address on that is what gets the mail to you: junk-mailers
use software that 'writes addresses on the envelope' quite separately
from those on the msg.

Quote:> ...  if I can ... specify groups of senders' email addresses, ...

Forget addresses: 'Posting-hosts' (i.e. where the junk was fed onto
the Net) are much less easily faked, so a better basis for filtering.

Quote:> ... any suggestions where I might look to find more help on this matter?

There are whole newsgroups devoted to the subject, and many websites.

Snippets from a regular 'Pointer to anti-UBE resources' post in this NG:-

3.0 Anti-UBE pointers  {'UBE' the German equivalent of 'UCE'?}

    3.1 NoCEM, CAUCE and others

       "NoCEM"
        http://www.veryComputer.com/

       "Dougal's NoCeM-E"
        http://www.veryComputer.com/~dougal/antispam/

       "The Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email (CAUCE)"
        http://www.veryComputer.com/

       "Lot of good articles about spam"
        http://www.veryComputer.com/

       "Select email court cases -- Lots of them"
        http://www.veryComputer.com/*/cases/spam.html
        America Online, Inc. v. * Promotions, Inc.,
        Compuserve Inc. v. * Promotions, Inc., etc.

       "Anti-Spam Directory of Information and Resources"
        http://www.veryComputer.com/

Spam email issue

Post by Thor Kotteli » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> The problem is, am now receiving
> span messages with no sender identified, just a blank space where the
> email address should be.  I don't see how such a message can be sent.

The From header can contain practically anything. Mail clients may
validate it for syntactical correctness, and some types of mail server
software will do a DNS lookup on the domain name and refuse to accept the
message if the domain is invalid.

Generally speaking, however, the From or To headers have nothing to do
with where the message, or any non-delivery receipts, are sent; this
information is specified in the SMTP dialog instead.

Thor

--
Many Web page users may be operating in contexts very
different from your own. As a content developer, you must

Spam email issue

Post by Timo Sal » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

:How is it possible to receive email from someone where the email message
:does not identify the sender's email address?  Up till now one could block

Those who use procmail for spam foiling might build something this
from http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html#nosubj

(clip clip)

Spam email is sometimes indicated by a missing or an empty "From:"
line in the header. Furthermore, the "From:" line might contain an
empty <> instead of having a proper address within the <>. Then we
might have something like

:0:
* 1^0 ^From:([  ]$|$)
* 1^0 ! ^From:
#A catch: Don't use here the word-boundary operators \<\>
#Use just the plain <>
* 1^0 ^From:.*<>
:NoFrom.mail

(clip clip)

   All the best, Timo

Moderating at ftp:// & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5

Spam foiling in effect.  My email filter autoresponder will return a
required email password to users not yet in the privileges database.
Advice on spam foiling at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/spamfoil.html

1. spam spam spam spam, Argh!

I'm beginning to get really annoyed by spam.  Here are some
things that sendmail could maybe to do help.  Some of these
may already be done, but I don't think any of them are defaults.

        1.  Only accpet mail from systems that have working
        reverse lookup.

        2.  Only accept mail from systems where the forward
        lookup of the reverse lookup matches that IP address.

        3.  Only accept mail from system that answer connects
        on port 25.  (Of course, an exception list would need to
        be supported)

        4.  Only accept mail from sites that are not on a list of
        sites to block.

        5.  If receiving mail from a site that generates a Received
        header that has an IP address in it, apply the above tests
        on each host in the Received path until it either goes cold
        or you get to the origin system.  Actually, not all of the
        tests can be applied due to firewalls, but the blocking-list
        can be checked.

        6.  Do not accept mail that does not have a valid Received
        chain (including IP addresses).

        7.  Do not accept mail for which you have no interest.  How
        is interest defined?  You're interested if any of the From,
        To, Cc, sender, etc addreses MX resovle to yourself or your
        domain.

        8.  ?

The other half of this is that someone needs to create the list of
sites to block.  I do not want to be involved in any of this but
I would happily contribute $500/year to whoever provides me with
a solution that eliminates spam from my site (w/o messing up anything
else of course).

For legal reasons, the person maintaining the blocking list should
probably not be located where they are easily vulnerable to lawyers.

-Dave

2. TRANSACT/SQL -> PL/SQL code converter....

3. New Spam issue

4. Please Help!!

5. Spam Control issue

6. DISCONNECT_CONFIRMATION after DISCONNECT_INDICATION

7. Sendmail 8.12.1 and relay/anti-spam issues - the saga continues....

8. A happy ending to the direct.ca attacks / Re: How to fight REALLY SEVERE mailbombings???

9. newbie question: sendmail spam issue

10. "National Alliance" email spam (was Re: Crusader spam)

11. spam spam spam

12. spam spam spam....

13. Eating... SPAM SPAM SPAM !!