Sendmail & Virtual Hosting

Post by Troy A. Parvatto » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to setup Virtual Email using Sendmail.  The damn thing is
driving me insane.  I could really use some help.

I'm running Linux Red Hat 5.1.  Sendmail 8.8.x (x=7 I think)  This is what
I have learned so far.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Preparing sendmail.cf
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I located '#Kvirtuser dbm /etc/virtusertable' and uncommented it.

Creating database file
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I created the following file /etc/virtusertable with the following
contents:

The I chose a valid domain name that is in my nameserver.  I then ran the
following command from the /etc directory:

makemap dbm /etc/virtusertable

The following error is returned: 'makemap: Type dbm not supported in this
version'  When I try an alternate database type it hangs.   I really don't
know what it is I'm doing.  I'm following the sendmail book and the Virtual
Hosting with Sendmail documentation from www.sendmail.org.  Why is this not
working?

Troy A. Parvatton

Sendmail & Virtual Hosting

Post by rob zimmerm » Thu, 18 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Preparing sendmail.cf
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>I located '#Kvirtuser dbm /etc/virtusertable' and uncommented it.

Are the rules uncomented as well?  search the .cf file for the word
virtual.

Quote:>The I chose a valid domain name that is in my nameserver.  I then ran the
>following command from the /etc directory:
>makemap dbm /etc/virtusertable

should be:
 makemap dbm /etc/virtusertable.db < /etc/virtusertable
This reads the txt file and  outputs the .db

Quote:>The following error is returned: 'makemap: Type dbm not supported in this
>version'  When I try an alternate database type it hangs.   I really don't
>know what it is I'm doing.  I'm following the sendmail book and the Virtual
>Hosting with Sendmail documentation from www.sendmail.org.  Why is this not
>working?

Does your sendmail binary include database support? If not you need to
re-build adding database support. Also, your cf file should say:
Kvirtuser dbm /etc/virtusertable for DBM  or
Kvirtuser hash /etc/virtusertable for hash  or
Kvirtuser btree /etc/virtusertable for btree

You may need to re-build makmap to include the proper db support as
well.

Rob Zimmerman
----

>Troy A. Parvatton

1. virtual host + virtual user table: hosting issues

Hi,
I am going to be hosting a domain. I have the virtual host part figured out:

What I want to do next is have a number of users that don't have logins
on the box, who will get their mail by
 POP3. I want this only to apply to bar.tld; foo.tld represents the "regular"
 mail hub (people with accounts on the box).

I can't seem to figure out if this involves a virtualuser table + userdb w/
 maildrop & mailname or something horribly
over-complex. How do large ISP's do it? I don't see anything about
passwords, for instance, in the Bat Book.

Am I thinking about this totally wrong?

2. What is "IX3D"?

3. Sendmail - Masquerading & Virtual hosting

4. Installing Software

5. virtual hosting & sendmail.cw

6. Converting LaTeX

7. sendmail.st & virtual host

8. Possible to run Client32 & Shared install

9. virtual hosting & email

10. X-Sender & Virtual Host

11. Virtual hosting & mail hub question