Mail loops, breaks loop, and delivers anyway

Mail loops, breaks loop, and delivers anyway

Post by Dianna Mulle » Sat, 12 Jun 1999 04:00:00

When I use NIS for aliases, my users' mail loops as if there is a
forwarding loop, but is delivered to the user anyway -- unless the
user has a local alias. Users with local aliases are not exhibiting
the looping.

Here's my alias definition:

    O AliasFile=/etc/mail/aliases,/etc/mail/forward,nis:mail.aliases

My NIS aliases look like this:

    aa0007: abbott

    [...]

When I remove "nis:mail.aliases" from the cf file and restart
sendmail, I don't see the looping behavior. However, there are reasons
I need the NIS aliases that I won't go into here.

Please let me know if you've tackled this before - I could use some
help.

Thanks.

Post by Per Hedela » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>When I use NIS for aliases, my users' mail loops as if there is a
>forwarding loop, but is delivered to the user anyway -- unless the
>user has a local alias. Users with local aliases are not exhibiting
>the looping.
>My NIS aliases look like this:

Which version of sendmail are you using? IIRC there was a bug similar to
what you describe with "self-referencing" aliases such as those above
pre-8.9.0 - try the current 8.9.3 if you aren't already using it.

--Per Hedeland