two mta's, two ip's one server

Post by Robe » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 04:23:25

Hi there,
I have a mail server running Domino smtp bound to one address and
would like to run a sendmail process on the same server bound to an
aliased address to filter and queue the incoming and outgoing mail.
So far I've set up a mailertable entry with '.domain.com
smtp:[server.domain.com]', but I get errors in the maillog stating:

Apr  1 14:06:49 mailserver sendmail[3587]: g31J6nN03582: SYSERR(root):
MX list for domain.com. points back to mailserver.domain.com: No such
file or directory

when I send an email to the sendmail process.
I was under the impression that placing brackets around the
server/domain name would stop an MX lookup for that host, according to
the FAQ.

Is it possible to run a queing process from an aliased ip address on
the same machine?
Is the mailertable the right solution for this? I'll be using Domino's
smarthost option to forward all internal mail out the sendmail process
also, so I can't use a sendmail smarthost feature or there will be a
big loop for outgoing mail.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

two mta's, two ip's one server

Post by Per Hedela » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:13:32

>I have a mail server running Domino smtp bound to one address and
>would like to run a sendmail process on the same server bound to an
>aliased address to filter and queue the incoming and outgoing mail.
>So far I've set up a mailertable entry with '.domain.com

                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote:>smtp:[server.domain.com]', but I get errors in the maillog stating:

>Apr  1 14:06:49 mailserver sendmail[3587]: g31J6nN03582: SYSERR(root):
>MX list for domain.com. points back to mailserver.domain.com: No such

             ^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:>file or directory

>when I send an email to the sendmail process.

If you want a mailertable entry that applies to "domain.com" (i.e. mail

--Per Hedeland

1. Two servers, same domain, can't send mail to one another

This one has stumped me...

I have 2 servers - net.rongage.org & home.rongage.org.  They are not
located at the same place (net is at a data closet, home is at home).
Home is my mail exchanger per all DNS records.  Sending mail from net to
home results in the mail staying on net.

directory results in an error (Server Config Error).  Also tried various
things with the virtusertable with no different results.

Is there a way to disable local host mapping for either some names or
some domains?

If it helps, net and home are on different IP subnets.

Ron Gage - Saginaw, MI

2. Utilities and Cad

3. 50 seconds to 'find' the server when sending????

4. Targa32+ Board programming

5. TCP/IP connection between two Windows 95 PC's

6. COM and LPT port mapping

7. Can't open URL with one or two clicks?

8. Two.One.Two

9. Two DNS domains, two mailservers, one email address, Sendmail 8.2.2

10. Two mailers one MTA?

11. How do I have two sendmail daemons running on one machine, listening on two different ports?

12. Delivering mail to one or two mb's