Sendmail and an Outlook-Client (pop-Problem)

Sendmail and an Outlook-Client (pop-Problem)

Post by Jürgen Ridde » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 03:50:36

Hey!

I've got al little problem with sendmail and MS Outllok as the
mail-client.
Sending a mail from the Windows machine to sendmail works fine. Sendmail

sends the mail to the internet and gets all new mails from the different

pop3 accounts, so I'm able to read them with an e-mail application as
'pine'. But if I want to read the mails with Outlook for one of the
accounts, I get the following error message at once: Der Server hat
unerwartet die Verbindung beendet. M?glicherweise liegt ein
Serverproblem
vor, es ist ein Netzwerkproblem aufgetreten oder das Zeitlimit wurde
berschritten. Konto: 'Linux-Mail', Server: 'Obelix', Protokoll: POP3,
Anschluss: 110, Secure(SSL): Nein, Fehlernummer: 0x800CCC0F
<Translated in bad english -- don't hit me)
Connection confused from server. Maybe there's a server-problem or the
time-limit erased(?). Account: 'LInux_mail', Sever"Obelix', Protokoll
POP3,
Port 110.
The account-name is the name of the user on the Linux-machine and the
password is correct.  The Server Name 'Obelix' is known in the
hosts-file
and the same error appears if I use the IP.

Any ideas?

Sorry about my worse english, I'll try harder next time....

Greetings

    Juergen

Sendmail and an Outlook-Client (pop-Problem)

Post by Matt Kin » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 05:45:11

Quote:> Hey!

> I've got al little problem with sendmail and MS Outllok as the
> mail-client.
> Sending a mail from the Windows machine to sendmail works fine. Sendmail

> sends the mail to the internet and gets all new mails from the different

> pop3 accounts, so I'm able to read them with an e-mail application as
> 'pine'. But if I want to read the mails with Outlook for one of the
> accounts, I get the following error message at once: Der Server hat
> unerwartet die Verbindung beendet. M?glicherweise liegt ein
> Serverproblem
> vor, es ist ein Netzwerkproblem aufgetreten oder das Zeitlimit wurde
> berschritten. Konto: 'Linux-Mail', Server: 'Obelix', Protokoll: POP3,
> Anschluss: 110, Secure(SSL): Nein, Fehlernummer: 0x800CCC0F
> <Translated in bad english -- don't hit me)
> Connection confused from server. Maybe there's a server-problem or the
> time-limit erased(?). Account: 'LInux_mail', Sever"Obelix', Protokoll
> POP3,
> Port 110.
> The account-name is the name of the user on the Linux-machine and the
> password is correct.  The Server Name 'Obelix' is known in the
> hosts-file
> and the same error appears if I use the IP.

> Any ideas?

> Sorry about my worse english, I'll try harder next time....

> Greetings

>     Juergen

Sendmail does not provide POP3 access.  You are probably not running a POP3
server for your system.  You can try installing the IMAP package
<http://www.washington.edu/imap/>, or another POP3 daemon such as qpopper
<http://www.eudora.com/qpopper> or the GNU pop3d
<http://www.nodomainname.net/software/mailutils/>

-- Matt

Sendmail and an Outlook-Client (pop-Problem)

Post by Chris Gosle » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 06:58:56

sendmail does not provide port 110 for your outlook clients to connect to

look in /etc/inetd.conf
find the line that starts

#pop3

and remove the # from the front of the line.
this will allow inetd to start up a pop service when a client machine makes
a request to port 110

Chris

Quote:> Hey!

> I've got al little problem with sendmail and MS Outllok as the
> mail-client.
> Sending a mail from the Windows machine to sendmail works fine. Sendmail

> sends the mail to the internet and gets all new mails from the different

> pop3 accounts, so I'm able to read them with an e-mail application as
> 'pine'. But if I want to read the mails with Outlook for one of the
> accounts, I get the following error message at once: Der Server hat
> unerwartet die Verbindung beendet. M?glicherweise liegt ein
> Serverproblem
> vor, es ist ein Netzwerkproblem aufgetreten oder das Zeitlimit wurde
> berschritten. Konto: 'Linux-Mail', Server: 'Obelix', Protokoll: POP3,
> Anschluss: 110, Secure(SSL): Nein, Fehlernummer: 0x800CCC0F
> <Translated in bad english -- don't hit me)
> Connection confused from server. Maybe there's a server-problem or the
> time-limit erased(?). Account: 'LInux_mail', Sever"Obelix', Protokoll
> POP3,
> Port 110.
> The account-name is the name of the user on the Linux-machine and the
> password is correct.  The Server Name 'Obelix' is known in the
> hosts-file
> and the same error appears if I use the IP.

> Any ideas?

> Sorry about my worse english, I'll try harder next time....

> Greetings

>     Juergen

1. Problem with sendmail 8.9.2 and POP-clients ?

Hello,

we have been running sendmail 8.9.2 for a year without problem. Suddenly
our POP-clienst starts getting problem reciceving mail with attachments.
The attchments are corrupted in some way and cant be decodede by uor
mail-clients /a mix of Exchange, Outloook and Eudora).

Any hints what might be the problem ?

Regards
Mikael Bohlin
System Adm.

2. I CAN KEEP ALL YOUR MONEY AND MAKE YOU POOR! 14445$GGGH88*

3. Problems reading mail on POP mail client (Maybe a setup problem?)

4. Background Sound (RealAudio) - Need Help Please

5. SMTP Auth (sendmail 8.11.2) using SASL M$ client (outlook) problems

6. How do I open this file?

7. UIDL pop server and otherrrr pop clients

8. Stupid PWS Version Question

9. POP before SMTP, Solution for Mail Client Problem

10. POP mail client problem - Help Please

11. Timestamp problem with 8.8.4 and pop clients

12. Problem Winsock.dll & Pop client

13. HELP !! Problems delivering mails to POP client