HPUX B.10.20 & sendmail

HPUX B.10.20 & sendmail

Post by Fred Lenk Sendmail acct » Thu, 10 Dec 1998 04:00:00



An observation to pass along:

Was trying to get email working between 2 in-house HP computers. I could get
email within the machines to work, but not between the machines. I finally
setup the 2 machines to use DNS (instead of /etc/host files), pointing to yet
a 3rd (Linux) box as the name server. Finally, got email working between the
2 HP boxes with DNS turned on.

I setup the DNS because of error messages that indicated the remote host
couldn't be found (even tho telnets and pings between the 2 hp boxes using
their canonical names worked great). The test email messages were simply
deferred.

This wasn't a sendmail problem exactly. But I would sure like to know why I
couldn't get email working until I setup DNS.

Fred
Fred Lenk Sendmail acct

Recumbent bike rider http://www.lenk.net/tbolt.htm

 
 
 

HPUX B.10.20 & sendmail

Post by Mike Dowli » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00



Quote:

>This wasn't a sendmail problem exactly. But I would sure like to know why I
>couldn't get email working until I setup DNS.

I was once similarly surprised.  Email from our dept to destinations
within the dept still required a name server, in our case, from outside
the dept.  (I'll rig up a name server within the dept when I get the
time.)  At the time, it was my understanding that sendmail tries NIS
first, whence I concluded that sendmail should not need a name server.

I was informed that this is an over simplification.  Sendmail does use
NIS and /etc/hosts before DNS when trying to resolve host names, but it
still requires a name server when searching for MX records.  Whence the
need for a local name server.

Cheers,
        Mike Dowling

--

It is, in fact, a sendmail alias; the digit 'N' is incremented regularly.
Spammed aliases will be deleted.  Currently, no aliases have been deleted.
If email to mikeN bounces, try mikeN+1.

 
 
 

HPUX B.10.20 & sendmail

Post by Rich Hal » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00




> >This wasn't a sendmail problem exactly. But I would sure like to know why I
> >couldn't get email working until I setup DNS.

> I was once similarly surprised.  Email from our dept to destinations
> within the dept still required a name server, in our case, from outside
> the dept.  (I'll rig up a name server within the dept when I get the
> time.)  At the time, it was my understanding that sendmail tries NIS
> first, whence I concluded that sendmail should not need a name server.

> I was informed that this is an over simplification.  Sendmail does use
> NIS and /etc/hosts before DNS when trying to resolve host names, but it
> still requires a name server when searching for MX records.  Whence the
> need for a local name server.

> Cheers,
>         Mike Dowling

Sendmail does not require DNS for delivery on your local network, but
you will need an up to date and accurate host table, Also if you haven't
changed you HPUX defaults, your resolv.conf is looking for NIS DNS then
files. If your not running NIS or DNS, sendmail may just be giving up
while waiting for each to time out. You should be able to deliver to any
hosts in you domain without DNS. If you don't have NIS or DNS, make sure
your resolv.conf says hosts: files . Use SAM to change it if necessary
as HP seems to be al little funny about how the file is formatted.
Course to deliever to another domain or the internet, sendmail needs to
be able to find MX records.
-Rich
 
 
 

HPUX B.10.20 & sendmail

Post by Kyle Tuck » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00




Quote:

> Was trying to get email working between 2 in-house HP computers. I could get
> email within the machines to work, but not between the machines. I finally
> setup the 2 machines to use DNS (instead of /etc/host files), pointing to yet
> a 3rd (Linux) box as the name server. Finally, got email working between the
> 2 HP boxes with DNS turned on.

> I setup the DNS because of error messages that indicated the remote host
> couldn't be found (even tho telnets and pings between the 2 hp boxes using
> their canonical names worked great). The test email messages were simply
> deferred.

> This wasn't a sendmail problem exactly. But I would sure like to know why I
> couldn't get email working until I setup DNS.

Bear in mind that HP-UX not only uses /etc/nsswitch.conf, but sendmail
also looks in /etc/mail/service.switch to see how to resolve hosts. I
am not sure what the default setting is.

--
- Kyle
--------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

1. Q: Pine 3.96 & HPUX 10.20 Hang Writing File/Sending Mail

In short...
I've a HPUX 10.20 system with pine 3.96.  Whenever I send a mail or
try to save mail to the Fcc file the process hangs.  I can't even
kill -9 to make it go away from anotehr window.  Any ideas?

In a bit more detail...
Digging through the pine-forum archive, I found mention of disable-busy-alarm
which seemed to help in the sending issue.  And making default-fcc="" seems
to have "solved" the hang-while-writing-to-fcc file, by disabling this
feature.  However, I would like to be able to have a fcc file.  Has anyone
found the difficulty and a solution/patch for this issue?

I think I can live with "disalbe-busy-alarm" as it doesn't seem to have an
effect on the actual operation.  However the default-fcc="" bit is a
user-noticeable "solution" which I'd like to avoid.

Any thoughts welcome...thanks all.
Reply via email or post, both read regularly although former preferred :)

PH

--

1035 Academic Surge  : Programmer/Analyst   : Backup Motto  : rm -fr /
One Shields Avenue   : Fax   (916) 752-4465 :-------------------------------
Davis, CA 95616-8770 : Voice (916) 752-7181 : rec.pets.cat.anecdotes \(^_^)/

2. Area codes- Town Compass??

3. Sendmail 8.9 HPUX 10.20

4. CIS does not work under win2k

5. sendmail 8.8.6/DM/Cw (HPUX 10.20)

6. TCP/IP Catch-22?

7. Sendmail installation on hpux 10.20

8. BIND 8 & negative caching question

9. Sendmail problem on HPUX 10.20

10. HPUX 10.20 sendmail problem.

11. ACAP und HPUX 10.20

12. MH for HPUX 10.20

13. nmh/HPUX 10.20; inc probs