refile: unable to allocate storage for msgstats

refile: unable to allocate storage for msgstats

Post by Doug Sweets » Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:13:05

Hello:

I read a Jan. 2003 thread with this topic, but cannot figure out how
to implement the solution.  On a Debian system, I have nmh version
1.1-RC1-3.  I have also downloaded the source code, so if I need to
compile something, that can be done.  There is a problem with the
folders command on a directory with more than 1000 files (Physics in
my case):

Quote:> folders -noheader -norecurse -nototal +Physics

folders: unable to allocate storage for msgstats

I have used grep to try and find "mh-folder-completion-function" but
was not successful.  Any specific ideas to try?

Thanks,
doug

Post by Satyaki Da » Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:27:57

>> folders -noheader -norecurse -nototal +Physics
> folders: unable to allocate storage for msgstats

I've never seen this. In the thread you mentioned, the OP
solved his troubles by editing the .context file:

  http://groups.google.com/groups?q=msgstats+group:comp.mail.mh&hl=en&l...

I presume you have already looked into this.

Quote:> I have used grep to try and find "mh-folder-completion-function" but
> was not successful.  Any specific ideas to try?

That is a function in MH-E (the emacs interface to MH). You
shouldn't have to change any thing there.

Satyaki

Post by Joel Reiche » Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:47:36

> > folders -noheader -norecurse -nototal +Physics
> folders: unable to allocate storage for msgstats

> I have used grep to try and find "mh-folder-completion-function" but
> was not successful.  Any specific ideas to try?

Try increasing the datasize shell limit. I don't know for sure that
will work, but the error you quote is from sbr/folder_read.c and seems
to only result from a failed malloc().

Cheers,

        - Joel

refile: unable to allocate storage for msgstats

Post by Doug Sweets » Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:10:11

Hello:

Quote:> I've never seen this. In the thread you mentioned, the OP
> solved his troubles by editing the .context file:

My context file is a one liner:

Quote:> cat ~/Mail/context

Current-Folder: inbox

So that is not the issue for me.  Darn.

refile: unable to allocate storage for msgstats

Post by Doug Sweets » Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:12:52

Hello Joel:

The power of grep tells me this is unlimited right now:

Quote:> grep -d skip datasize .*

.dotfile-tcshrc:unlimit datasize

doug

refile: unable to allocate storage for msgstats

Post by Doug Sweets » Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:33:52

Hello:

The problem has a clear resolution.

I use my MH folders not only to store email, but also to store other
information on the same topic.  I have paper file folders that also
match the Mail folder structure: nothing like self consistency.  This
particular folder had all of three files: 1 2 and my American Physical
Society ID number, 61001111!  MH thought I had a HUGE number of files
in here, not three.  When I changed the name of the file to
id.61001111, the problem went away.

doug

1. folders: unable to allocate storage for msgstats

Hi

I just upgraded to Suse 8.1, and now I am getting the following error
message with
nmh 1.0.4-204.

folders: unable to allocate storage for msgstats

this completely knackers my emacs MH-E - I can't refile to any folders
with auto-completion (I assume because MH-E does a trawl of the Mail
directory to pick up the folder names, and folders won't do this). I
can file manually if I give it the complete folder name.

I don't see any similar reports on google or in the news groups. Any
thoughts ?

Cheers,

Pete

pete at smtl co uk

2. Config! NewsReader:NewYork

3. Program: msgstat

4. sys 7.6/QuickdrawGX/Word 6.0 incompatibility

5. is there a range when dynamicaly allocating ports?

6. cant connect correctly

7. Cannot allocate memory": Broken pipe

8. Realtime serial port programming under Win3.11

9. Eudora Allocated Memory

10. Help allocate eudora memory

11. Unable to connect -recieve message saying user unable to accept calls

12. problems after doing "refile +"

13. refiling script hook?