Output Netmeeting Video to Composite Video Connector

Output Netmeeting Video to Composite Video Connector

Post by edel.. » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I'm attempting to get video output from a feed received with Netmeeting
to a composite video signal (for transfer, say, to a VCR, though that's
not actually our application).

My methodology so far is to run a PC at 640x480, get the "Remote Video"
window fullscreen or as close to it as I can manage, and run the signal
through a scan converter which gives me composite and S-video outputs
as desired.

But of course this doesn't let me use the other features of Netmeeting -
- just barely OK for my currently audio-and-video-only application, but
not ideal.  And quality is also worse than it needs to be since the
scaling up introduces "jaggies" and the scan converter isn't so high
quality a device either; in short, this process has more steps than it
seems like it should.

Anyone know of a technique -- presumably involving a hardware device
with video output capabilities, i.e. the ATI All In Wonder or
comparable products of that sort -- to get just the Remote Video window
on a standard video connector?  Ideal would be a notebook-friendly
solution -- something for which a PC card can do the job, I suppose.
But am currently primarily looking to get a better sense of the
choices... which *have* to include something better than my current
maximize-and-send-through-scan-converter solution.

BTW, I realize it's a bit off-topic, but how about the alternatives to
Netmeeting?  I mean, are there ***reasonably-priced*** (say, under
$1500 per location) dedicated hardware boxes that can do what I'm
after?  I know that, in the ~$5000+-per-system family, there are
perfectly acceptable choices, but that's more than my current budget
allows...

Thanks in advance!

Ben Edelman
Berkman Center for Internet and Society
Harvard Law School

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Output Netmeeting Video to Composite Video Connector

Post by Kreda » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

well-  it's kinda extreme--  but-  using your solution, of full screen,
could work on a computer with
two monitors..

(win 98 has built in support for a second monitor, you COULD have a second
monitor, running full screen- with the output thru your scan converter, and
the other monitor with the program features running)

a cheap 15" monitor (the size doesn't matter) could be had for 150$, 2nd
video card, same range...

total- less than 500$

+ when not using netmeeting- 2nd monitor..

actually- you wouldn't have to purchase a 2nd monitor--  just use the TV (or
equivelant device)
from the scan converter..

Quote:> I'm attempting to get video output from a feed received with Netmeeting