Rewriting "From:" but not "From "

Post by Geoff Kuenni » Fri, 05 Jul 1991 12:04:36

My connection to the outside world is via uunet and uucp, but I have a
registered domain.  Currently, the uucp rewriting rules produce header
lines like the following:

        From desint!geoff
        From: desint!geoff (Geoff Kuenning)

I'd like to rewrite the "From:" line to produce my domain-based
address, rather than my bang-style address, so that others could reply
to me more reliably.  I managed to modify my uucp sender ruleset to do
this, but unfortunately it was applied to both From lines, which uucp
doesn't like.  How do I modify only "From:" without modifying "From?"
--

Rewriting "From:" but not "From "

Post by Jos V » Sun, 07 Jul 1991 01:50:24

>I'd like to rewrite the "From:" line to produce my domain-based
>address, rather than my bang-style address, so that others could reply
>to me more reliably.  I managed to modify my uucp sender ruleset to do
>this, but unfortunately it was applied to both From lines, which uucp
>doesn't like.  How do I modify only "From:" without modifying "From?"

When you use a sendmail version with the IDA enhancement kit you can
specify seperate rules for header (From:) and envelope (From ) rewriting.
The standard ruleset flow (the picture in the Sendmail Inst+Oper Guide)
then also differs.

--

--    Bull Nederland NV, Product Support Unix, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Rewriting "From:" but not "From "

Post by Frederick M. Avol » Tue, 09 Jul 1991 23:57:20

If you cannot or do not want to run IDA sendmail, use smail
in place of uux for uucp mail delivery and do not add your hostname
on to the sender address.  Smail will tack it on the envelope.

fred