check_mail cannot resolve hostnames, but they resolve

check_mail cannot resolve hostnames, but they resolve

Post by Darren Beal » Thu, 23 Jan 2003 02:29:46

Hi there

I seem to have a problem with my mailserver. It started earlier today but
I've only just noticed it.

Any mails sent to domains on the machine are being rejected at the ruleset
check_mail

e.g.

delay=00:57:08, xdelay=00:00:40, mailer=virthostmail, pri=221817,
relay=mail.acksys.co.uk, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: 451 4.1.8 Domain of

They all resolve on the cmd line and host -t mx gives the expected results

Has anyone got any ideas what is going on here? I've done nothing to the
server. How do I get it to accept mails again?

tia

Darren Beale - Acksys Ltd
Office: 020 8530 1454
Fax: 07092 394822
Mobile: 07711 716197
http://www.acksys.co.uk

Post by Andrzej Fili » Sun, 26 Jan 2003 07:07:11

> I seem to have a problem with my mailserver. It started earlier today but
> I've only just noticed it.

> Any mails sent to domains on the machine are being rejected at the ruleset
> check_mail

> e.g.

> delay=00:57:08, xdelay=00:00:40, mailer=virthostmail, pri=221817,
> relay=mail.acksys.co.uk, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: 451 4.1.8 Domain of

> They all resolve on the cmd line and host -t mx gives the expected results

> Has anyone got any ideas what is going on here? I've done nothing to the
> server. How do I get it to accept mails again?

Take a look at results produced by

It should give you "sendmail's perspective".

--
Andrzej [pl>en: Andrew] Adam Filip http://www.polbox.com/a/anfi/
*Random epigram* :

1. ruleset=check_mail..Sender domain must resolve

I had a transient problem with Sendmail 8.9.3

For several hours from 10/9/00 11:00 EDT - 10/10/00 08:00 EDT I got
messages of the form:

Oct  9 11:03:40 harbor sendmail[23065]: LAA23065: ruleset=check_mail,

Both before and after this interval they are able to relay. During the
time frame I was getting the errors, I was able to do both forward and
reverse lookups on the domain in the message. No other users seemed be
effected

I did this using as DNS servers: harbor (the mail relay in question); a
mail server at cmu.edu, and one of the authoritative name server for
popsite.net.

So my questions are: (a) is this error triggered by something in the
envelope that does not appear in the message; (b) can anything besides
DNS trigger this; (c) any ideas?

Thanks for any help

2. cd-rom drive only reads audio cd's

3. prevent hostname resolving

4. Getting a new SBS BackOffice 4.5 CD

5. sendmail not resolving hostname

6. C interpreter source code

7. sendmail unable to resolve hostname?

8. TableSpace Problem

9. Resolving Sender's hostname

10. Sendmail not resolving hostname

11. Sendmail: Long delays while resolving hostnames

12. Webgenerated eMails cannot resolve

13. cannot resolve sender domain