how to set message priority?

Post by Bruc » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I've looked high and low for a command to set message priority, yet I am
unsuccessful in locating such an animal. Can someone please enlighten
me? Can message priority be set? If so, how do I set it?

Thanks,
Bruce

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

how to set message priority?

Post by Scott Leibran » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I've looked high and low for a command to set message priority, yet I am
> unsuccessful in locating such an animal. Can someone please enlighten
> me? Can message priority be set? If so, how do I set it?

The only standard way to set any sort of priority on a message is to set
the Precedence: header.  To set a high priority, you could set Precedence:
special-delivery.  To set a lower priority (and not get
bounce-notifications), you could set Precedence:  bulk.  The sendmail FAQ
at http://www.rzg.mpg.de/rzg/batch/NEC/sx4a_doc/g1ah05e/chap5.html#pg47
explains the various precedence headers pretty well, IMO.

As for something that flags the message as important for the recipient,
there is no real standard way to do it.  Some GUI mailers have their own
proprietary mechanisms, but I've never seen one that has any
interoperability between MUAs.

--
Scott Leibrand

http://students.washington.edu/leibrand
* RCW 19.190 notice: This email address is located in Washington State. *
* Unsolicited commercial email may be billed $500 per message.          *

1. Setting Message Priority in Sendmail?

To All in this forum,

I need help. I searched the neswgroups for the answer to this
question without success. I'll really appreciate it if someone can
help me out with this.

Here is the problem or rather the challenge. I send lots of mail
from my server and I would like the messages from a
particular perl cgi script go out first before all other messages
sent by other cgi scripts even when the server is loaded with many
sendmail processing going on at the same time. I would
like the messages coming from the script with the highest
priority to take precedence over even those that are currently
being processed. Is there some flag I can use when I'm
opening sendmail to set the priority on one script higher than
another and if not is there any other way to achieve this?

Here is the code I use to call sendmail:

$mailprog = '/usr/sbin/sendmail';
open(MAIL, "|$mailprog -t");

Thank your very much and I look forward to hearing from someone
soon.

Best regards,
Alan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Best Buys advertises Warp on TV!

3. setting all messages to high priority for some users

4. Multiple servers access

5. Priority setting of mails.

6. ISP connection problems ??

7. Is it possible to set the priority flag using simple mapi?

8. FS: Amiga 1200

9. Setting Priority in Sendmail

10. How to avoid queu with High Priority setting

11. IMAP & Message Priority Flags

12. Priority in RFC-822 Messages

13. Standard for raising priority on a message?