Unable to access Folders using 4.55 (FreeBSD)

Unable to access Folders using 4.55 (FreeBSD)

Post by Willia » Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:08:57

I'm running Pine 4.55 on a Dual Proc install of FreeBSD 5.1 and I've been
trying in vain to get access to my folders on the remote IMAP server.

I've read and followed various instructions in the previous threads posted
here but none of them seem to be working for me.

The remote server supports various email account for its users, and as a
result I have to login using /user=user@domain could it be this that's
causing my problem?

I can see all the folders in KMail but this is doing my head in. I've
included the (relevant) bit's from my .pinerc file.

Any help would be very much appreciated on this, I'm totally at a loss here.

<.pinerc start>

# Over-rides your full name from Unix password file. Required for PC-Pine.
personal-name=Wm. G. Urquhart

# Sets domain part of From: and local addresses in outgoing mail.
user-domain=wurquhart.co.uk

# List of SMTP servers for sending mail. If blank: Unix Pine uses sendmail.
smtp-server=smtp.wight365.net

# NNTP server for posting news. Also sets news-collections for news reading.
nntp-server=

# Path of (local or remote) INBOX, e.g. ={mail.somewhere.edu}inbox
# Normal Unix default is the local INBOX (usually /usr/spool/mail/$USER).
inbox-path={pop3.wight365.net/user=...@wurquhart.co.uk/ssl/novalidate-cert}INBOX

# List of folder pairs; the first indicates a folder to archive, and the
# second indicates the folder read messages in the first should
# be moved to.
incoming-archive-folders=

# List of folders, assumed to be in first folder collection,
# offered for pruning each month.  For example: mumble
pruned-folders=

# Over-rides default path for sent-mail folder, e.g. =old-mail (using first
# folder collection dir) or ={host2}sent-mail or ="" (to suppress saving).
# Default: sent-mail (Unix) or SENTMAIL.MTX (PC) in default folder
collection.
default-fcc=

# Over-rides default path for saved-msg folder, e.g. =saved-messages (using
1st
# folder collection dir) or ={host2}saved-mail or ="" (to suppress saving).
# Default: saved-messages (Unix) or SAVEMAIL.MTX (PC) in default collection.
default-saved-msg-folder=

# Over-rides default path for postponed messages folder, e.g. =pm (which
uses
# first folder collection dir) or ={host4}pm (using home dir on host4).
# Default: postponed-msgs (Unix) or POSTPOND.MTX (PC) in default fldr coltn.
postponed-folder=

# If set, specifies where already-read messages will be moved upon quitting.
read-message-folder=

# If set, specifies where form letters should be stored.
form-letter-folder=

# Contains the actual signature contents as opposed to the signature
filename.
# If defined, this overrides the signature-file. Default is undefined.
literal-signature=

# Over-rides default path for signature file. Default is ~/.signature
signature-file=.signature

# List of features; see Pine's Setup/options menu for the current set.
# e.g. feature-list= select-without-confirm, signature-at-bottom
# Default condition for all of the features is no-.
feature-list=enable-sigdashes,
        quell-dead-letter-on-cancel,
        spell-check-before-sending,
        include-header-in-reply,
        include-text-in-reply,
        reply-always-uses-reply-to,
        signature-at-bottom,
        strip-from-sigdashes-on-reply,
        enable-background-sending,
        warn-if-blank-subject,
        combined-subdirectory-display,
        no-enable-dot-folders,
        no-expanded-view-of-folders,
        enable-msg-view-urls,
        prefer-plain-text,
        pass-control-characters-as-is,
        enable-aggregate-command-set,
        enable-arrow-navigation,
        enable-bounce-cmd,
        enable-full-header-cmd,
        enable-partial-match-lists,
        enable-tab-completion,
        enable-unix-pipe-cmd,
        expunge-without-confirm,
        quit-without-confirm,
        separate-folder-and-directory-entries,
        quell-empty-directories,
        no-combined-folder-display,
        enable-incoming-folders,
        no-single-column-folder-list

# Pine executes these keys upon startup (e.g. to view msg 13: i,j,1,3,CR,v)
initial-keystroke-list=

# Only show these headers (by default) when composing messages
default-composer-hdrs=

# Add these customized headers (and possible default values) when composing
customized-hdrs=

# When viewing messages, include this list of headers
viewer-hdrs=

# Determines default folder name for Saves...
# Choices: default-folder, by-sender, by-from, by-recipient,
last-folder-used.
# Default: "default-folder", i.e. "saved-messages" (Unix) or "SAVEMAIL"
(PC).
saved-msg-name-rule=

# Determines default name for Fcc...
# Choices: default-fcc, by-recipient, last-fcc-used.
# Default: "default-fcc" (see also "default-fcc=" variable.)
fcc-name-rule=

# Sets presentation order of messages in Index. Choices:
# subject, from, arrival, date, size. Default: "arrival".
sort-key=Arrival/Reverse

# Sets presentation order of address book entries. Choices: dont-sort,
# fullname-with-lists-last, fullname, nickname-with-lists-last, nickname
# Default: "fullname-with-lists-last".
addrbook-sort-rule=

# Sets presentation order of folder list entries. Choices: ,
#
# Default: "alpha-with-directories-last".
folder-sort-rule=

# Sets the default folder and collectionoffered at the Goto Command's
prompt.
goto-default-rule=

# Sets message which cursor begins on. Choices: first-unseen, first-recent,
# first-important, first-important-or-unseen, first-important-or-recent,
# first, last. Default: "first-unseen".
incoming-startup-rule=

# Allows a default answer for the prune folder questions. Choices: yes-ask,
# yes-no, no-ask, no-no, ask-ask, ask-no. Default: "ask-ask".
pruning-rule=

# Controls behavior when reopening an already open folder.
folder-reopen-rule=

# Style that MESSAGE INDEX is displayed in when threading.
threading-display-style=

# Style of THREAD INDEX or default MESSAGE INDEX when threading.
threading-index-style=

# When threading, character used to indicate collapsed messages underneath.
threading-indicator-character=

# When threading, character used to indicate expanded messages underneath.
threading-expanded-character=

# When threading, character used to indicate this is the last reply
# to the parent of this message.
threading-lastreply-character=

# Reflects capabilities of the display you have. Default: US-ASCII.
# Typical alternatives include ISO-8859-x, (x is a number between 1 and 9).
character-set=

# Specifies the program invoked by ^_ in the Composer,
# or the "enable-alternate-editor-implicitly" feature.
editor=

# Specifies the program invoked by ^T in the Composer.
speller=

# Specifies the column of the screen where the composer should wrap.
composer-wrap-column=

# Specifies the string to insert when replying to a message.
reply-indent-string=

# Specifies the introduction to insert when replying to a message.
reply-leadin=

# Specifies the string to use when sending a  message with no to or cc.
empty-header-message=

# Program to view images (e.g. GIF or TIFF attachments).
image-viewer=

# If "user-domain" not set, strips hostname in FROM address. (Unix only)
use-only-domain-name=Yes

# This variable takes a list of programs that message text is piped into
# after MIME decoding, prior to display.
display-filters=

# This defines a program that message text is piped into before MIME
# encoding, prior to sending
sending-filters=

# A list of alternate addresses the user is known by
alt-addresses=

# This is a list of formats for address books.  Each entry in the list is
made
# up of space-delimited tokens telling which fields are displayed and in
# which order.  See help text
addressbook-formats=

# This gives a format for displaying the index.  It is made
# up of space-delimited tokens telling which fields are displayed and in
# which order.  See help text
index-format=

# The number of lines of overlap when scrolling through message text
viewer-overlap=

# Number of lines from top and bottom of screen where single
# line scrolling occurs.
scroll-margin=

# The number of seconds to sleep after writing a status message
status-message-delay=

# The minimum number of seconds between checks for new mail in a Mail Drop.
# This is always effectively at least as large as the mail-check-interval
mail-check-interval=60

# The approximate number of seconds between checks for new mail
maildrop-check-minimum=

# Path and filename of the program used to upload text from your terminal
# emulator's into Pine's composer.
upload-command=

# Text sent to terminal emulator prior to invoking the program defined by
# the upload-command variable.
# Note: _FILE_ will be replaced with the temporary file used in the upload.
upload-command-prefix=

# Path and filename of the program used to download text via your terminal
# emulator from Pine's export and save commands.
download-command=

# Text sent to terminal emulator prior to invoking the program defined by
# the download-command variable.
# Note: _FILE_ will be replaced with the temporary file used in the
downlaod.
download-command-prefix=

# Sets the search path for the mailcap configuration file.
# NOTE: colon delimited under UNIX, semi-colon delimited under
DOS/Windows/OS2.
mailcap-search-path=

# Sets the search path for the mimetypes configuration file.
# NOTE: colon delimited under UNIX, semi-colon delimited under
DOS/Windows/OS2.
mimetype-search-path=

# List of programs to open Internet URLs (e.g. http or ftp references).
url-viewers=

# List of incoming msg folders besides INBOX, e.g. ={host2}inbox,
{host3}inbox
# Syntax: optnl-label {optnl-imap-host-name}folder-path
incoming-folders={pop3.wight365.net/user=...@wurquhart.co.uk/ssl/novalidate-cert}INBOX

# List of directories where saved-message folders may be. First one is
# the default for Saves. Example: Main {host1}mail/[], Desktop mail\[]
# Syntax: optnl-label {optnl-imap-hostname}optnl-directory-path[]
folder-collections=IMAP
{pop3.wight365.net/user=...@wurquhart.co.uk/ssl/novalidate-cert}INBOX.[],

read more »

Post by Eduardo Chapp » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 05:42:20

:) The remote server supports various email account for its users, and as

:) that's causing my problem?
:)
:) # Path of (local or remote) INBOX, e.g. ={mail.somewhere.edu}inbox
:) # Normal Unix default is the local INBOX (usually
:) # /usr/spool/mail/$USER).

Hello William,

  Have you tried adding "/pop3"?. For example try

                  ^^^^^

:) [removed]
:)
:) # List of incoming msg folders besides INBOX, e.g.
:) # ={host2}inbox,{host3}inbox Syntax: optnl-label
:) # {optnl-imap-host-name}folder-path

You do not need to define this field. Erase this part.

:) # List of directories where saved-message folders may be. First one is
:) # the default for Saves. Example: Main {host1}mail/[], Desktop mail\[]
:) # Syntax: optnl-label {optnl-imap-hostname}optnl-directory-path[]
:) folder-collections=IMAP

:)         "Folders"

It looks to me like you are connecting to a POP3 server, in this case,
you can't access any other folder than INBOX, so this definition does not
apply at all.

:) [removed]

Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

1. News Folder Problems with Pine 4.55 (OS X)

I have two news collections set up for Pine--one for Giganews,
the other for Netscape, with Giganews being listed before
Netscape in the Folder List window. Ever since I upgraded to
4.55, trying to open a newsgroup on the Netscape server results
in an "OVER" message at the bottom of the screen. I can open
newsgroups on the Giganews server. This setup was working until
4.55; what can I do to get it working again?

Thanks very much,

Emily

--
"If it seem slow, wait for it; it will surely come, it will not delay."

<http://home.hiwaay.net/~emilyj/missjackson.html>
- Sent via Pine 4.55: IMAP, NNTP & ESMTP for Unix/Win/Mac OS X -

2. Hiding or bringing back the Desktop Shell Explorer.exe

3. PC-Pine 4.55 and 4.56: Yellow icon

4. Welsh language support

5. pine 4.55 / Solaris 8: New message scanning faulty?

6. Max proxy?

7. PC-Pine 4.55 problem with attachments

8. Problem formatting a QUANTUM 210 MB

9. pine 4.55 or 4.56 ported to HP-UX 11.00 64 Bit?

10. ~/mbox in 4.55

11. Viewing headers in pine 4.55 on OSX

12. Pine 4.55 working with maildir?

13. Pine 4.55 compile error