Help with odd tags in Pro 4.2.1

Post by A. Welc » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

In just the past couple of days, friends have complained that they
see odd tags in my email messages.  Here are two of them:

</excerpt>
</XMP>

I've not had this complaint before a couple of days ago.

I'm using Eudora Pro 4.2.1.

I've checked the X-setting 260 for format=flowed.  It was set to "16"
and even though I've set it to "1" to turn off format=flowed,
my messages are still interspersed with odd tags that sometimes make it
difficult for readers.

Thanks,
-A. Welch

oboe AT kdi DOT com

Help with odd tags in Pro 4.2.1

Post by Edward Rei » Thu, 14 Oct 1999 04:00:00

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:35:10 -0400, A. Welch wrote

Quote:> In just the past couple of days, friends have complained that they
> see odd tags in my email messages.  Here are two of them:

Go to Special->Settings->Styled Text. Select "Send plain text mail
only" and turn on "Ask me each time".

At first glance, sending styled text sounds like a good idea. You've
just seen why it isn't: there's very poor compatibility from one mail
reader to another.

Quote:> I've not had this complaint before a couple of days ago.

Probably you had the options on but only recently used styled text,
such as bold or italic. This triggered Eudora to send styled text,
which it does by inserting those odd tags.

Quote:> I've checked the X-setting 260 for format=flowed.  It was set to "16"
> and even though I've set it to "1" to turn off format=flowed,
> my messages are still interspersed with odd tags that sometimes make it
> difficult for readers.

Not related. Turn format=flowed back on, it's good stuff.

We will have styled text in email eventually, but not using the current
methods. The problem with current implementations of styled text in
email is that it's all or nothing. If you send styled text and the
recipient's mailer doesn't handle styled text, the result is ugly.

Format=flowed is a good example of how to make improvements graceful.
It's purpose is to allow the recipient's mailer to reflow paragraphs.
And if you think this isn't a big deal -- that the recipient should
just make the mail reading window larger -- then think about receiving
email on a PDA or a cell phone. People receiving F=F email usually
don't even realize it's happened -- either their mailer (at present
only Eudora) reflows the paragraphs smoothly, or it displays as-is but
cleanly with the line breaks as sent.

Something of this sort will happen eventually for styles. For example,
it would be feasible to say that a word delimited by *asterisks* is
bold. Conforming mailers would display it in bold; others would show
the asterisks; in either case the recipient would see the emphasis. And
so on.

Edward Reid

1. odd behavior of "tag" with "score"?!?

Hi all,

please try the following:

- open a mailbox
- tag the first message
- give the command (with :)
   score ~T 1
   this will assign score 1 to message number 1
- untag the first message
- tag the second message
- give the command
   score ~T 2

As far as I understood, this should assign score 2
to message number 2 ans leave unaltered the score
of message number 1.

Well, in my mutt the result is that message number 2 gets
score 2, but message number 1 gets score ZERO!

The same happens with flag instead of tag.

Is this behaviour correct?

Thanks in advance

Alessandro

2. kirstin hanssen

3. Odd problem sending w/Eudora Pro 3.0

4. Help!Indigo2 Hardware Failure!!!!!!!

5. tag-unread and read-tagged ?

6. visionIce: DriverX vs Win2000

7. to tag or not to tag...

8. Win2K crash when writing to floppy

9. Mail Tags & HTTP Tags Disappearing???

10. help w/ chinese plug ins

11. Need help getting started with plug-ins

12. help w/plug-ins

13. HELP ODD PROBLEM