procmail forwards fail (wrong smtp server?)

procmail forwards fail (wrong smtp server?)

Post by jb » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 03:29:06

Hi,
I've got some procmail recipes that forward incoming mail
but they fail -- server times out.
(I think) because procmail is using my local MTA (or itself)
instead of my ISP's
(who requires using their smtp server as an antispam measure.)
My MUA (pine) is configured to use theirs, and works fine.

How can I tell procmail to use the ISP's smtp ?
(sys: RH 6.0, procmail 3.13.1)

(note: email replies preferred)
---------------------------

---------------------------

Post by Philip Guenthe » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:34:43

> I've got some procmail recipes that forward incoming mail
> but they fail -- server times out.
> (I think) because procmail is using my local MTA (or itself)
> instead of my ISP's
> (who requires using their smtp server as an antispam measure.)
> My MUA (pine) is configured to use theirs, and works fine.

> How can I tell procmail to use the ISP's smtp ?
> (sys: RH 6.0, procmail 3.13.1)

You can't: procmail doesn't speak SMTP.  All you're doing is piping the
message to sendmail.  If your local MTA configuration doesn't work, then
you'll need to fix it, perhaps by defining SMART_HOST in your sendmail
M4 config file (whatever.mc) and then rebuilding the sendmail.cf file.

Remember, the procmail rcfile action

        ! addresses...

is treated just like you had written

        | "$SENDMAIL" $SENDMAILFLAGS addresses...

Philip Guenther

Post by Collin Par » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 02:22:02

> message to sendmail.  If your local MTA configuration doesn't work, then
> you'll need to fix it, perhaps by defining SMART_HOST in your sendmail
> M4 config file (whatever.mc) and then rebuilding the sendmail.cf file.

To the original poster:  If you're not in the habit of rebuilding
sendmail.cf using m4, you can achieve the same effect Philip suggests
by editing /etc/sendmail.cf and modifying the line that begins "DS".

Now if you want to forward messages using some other mailer (pine?),
you can change those places where you say

to instead say

Modifying SENDMAIL and SENDMAILFLAGS might also work although
I don't know if this is considered "safe."

hth
--
Neither I nor my employer will accept any liability for any problems
or consequential loss caused by relying on this information.  Sorry.

1. Mail Server fails to find DNS address - SMTP fails

Has anyone ever had a problem with any version of Eudora Mail Server
DNS resolution of email domains when sending mail?

When the Mac was on a static IP network (both DSL and T1), absolutely
no problem with Mail Server.

When moved to a DHCP server, at first absolutely no TCP/IP stuff
worked until I upgraded from MacOS 8.5 to MacOS 8.6 (there was a major
DHCP client rewrite in 86.).

After the upgrade, every TCP/IP app worked EXCEPT Eudora Mail Server,
which claims that DNS cannot be found. When I sniff packet traffic, I
see that Mail Server is indeed completely unaware of the DNS address,
as it makes to DNS query calls to it. In fact, the Mac shows
absolutely no TCP/IP traffic at all when attempting to send email.
Other TCP/IP apps on the Mac show the standard kind of IP traffic.

When I go to the TCP/IP panel, I see that all information, including
DNS address, has been supplied by the DHCP server, so why is Mail
Server unable to pick this address up?

Is anyone aware of this problem and can offer a solution? Sorry I
can't be more specific about the version#, I didn't think to write it
down and I'm currently at another location. I am sure that it is the
free version of Mail Server.

Perhaps there is some process in the startup that queries the DNS
address from TCP/IP, and since it has not yet been resolved by DHCP
comes away with no address, and Mail Server is looking to this source
for the DNS address and not directly to TCP/IP?

2. Which Bibtex

3. Mail stuck in server (sendmail going to wrong smtp server)

4. free mem for spawn?

5. Forward all mails from one SMTP sever to another SMTP server

6. critical updates.

7. inetd[537]: smtp/tcp server failing [2]

8. bogus titlebar bitmap under Win95

9. inetd[537]: smtp/tcp server failing

10. inetd[537]: smtp/tcp server failing.

11. inetd[537]: smtp/tcp server failing (fwd)

12. internal SMTP server + external SMTP server

13. Built in SMTP server,Bypass your SMTP server,---Panther Mailer