Maildir/ IMAP server (NOT Courier-IMAP)

Post by Tanuj Sha » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:51:21

Hi,

I'm looking for a _good_ IMAP server that supports Maildir/ natively.
Courier-IMAP is the only one I could find, and it's crap. Too slow and
kills the resources on the machine (esp. with something like Pine that
keeps the IMAP session open until you quit).

I dunno about Cyrus or whatever, but don't really want to use that as it's
recommended for machines that aren't usually used for logging in to the
shell.

Any advice or recommendations appricated.
TIA.

--
Tanuj Shah

Post by Mark Crispi » Thu, 22 Mar 2001 04:43:25

> I'm looking for a _good_ IMAP server that supports Maildir/ natively.
> Courier-IMAP is the only one I could find, and it's crap. Too slow and
> kills the resources on the machine (esp. with something like Pine that
> keeps the IMAP session open until you quit).

I wish that I could recommend UW imapd as a substitute for Courier, but I
doubt that you'd get any relief with UW imapd as long as Maildir is a
requirement.  UW imapd is not distributed with Maildir support, and the
third-party Maildir drivers for UW imapd which I have seen will probably
deliver at least as crappy performance as you're already experiencing.
I don't think that a Maildir driver for UW imapd written by me would do
significantly better (this is why I don't want to get into the Maildir
business).

The author of Courier specifically designed it for Maildir, so I suspect
that Courier is as best as you can get with that format.

If you're willing to consider alternative formats, then you have some very
strong options with both UW imapd and Cyrus.

Quote:> I dunno about Cyrus or whatever, but don't really want to use that as it's
> recommended for machines that aren't usually used for logging in to the
> shell.

Cyrus doesn't use maildir.  It uses its own format which involves a
database for all the message metadata.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc

1. Question about courier-imap maildir and INTERNALDATE

Suppose I want to restore on the IMAP server some old messages from a
backup.

From http://www.qmail.org/man/man5/maildir.html I read:

     THE MAILDIR STRUCTURE
          A directory in maildir format has three subdirectories, all
          on the same filesystem:  tmp, new, and cur.

          Each file in new is a newly delivered mail message.  The
          modification time of the file is the delivery date of the
          message.

Now, should I set the modification time of the file containing the restored
message to the original message date, or leave the current date?

AFAIK the modification file of the message is reported by courier-imap in
the INTERNALDATE field and some clients seams to rely on INTERNALDATE to
estabilish the message date.

Moreover, which is the exactly, the role of INTERNALDATE value?

Thanks

Alessandro.

2. MDI Main frame not receiving OnSysColorChange

3. courier-imap with vpopmail and maildirs

4. CDRWIN Help needed urgently !!!!!!

5. PHP IMAP->Courier-IMAP problem: imap_expunge()

6. Metrics or Statistics

7. Directory structure restoration from cyrus-imap to courier-imap

8. Help : Overriding the 44 inch printing lenght on Epson Stylus Pro

9. courier-imap & authuserdb not authorizing

10. Convert old-style Cyrus-imap mailboxes to courier maildir format

11. How do I convert my unix mailbox files to courier IMAP maildirs?

12. Converting Cyrus messages to Courier IMAP Maildir format.

13. Problems with Mozilla 1.3 and Courier-IMAP 1.7.3