Help-msg on "P" and "postponed" file -- add "appends to postponed"

Help-msg on "P" and "postponed" file -- add "appends to postponed"

Post by David Com » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:27:16

It might well be in the manual, but it also should be
added to the interactive HELP cmd, which types out
the bindings.

Add to "P" that it APPENDS to any existing "postponed" file.

WHY is that fact NOT "obvious"?

Because the user, at least this one, uses the
"head -50" (alias head50) cmd as a quick and easy
(and usually effective) way to see what's IN a file,
eg what's been put INTO a file (by some program).

So you don't see the appended stuff.

In fact, since the head-stuff hasn't changed, you're
not quite sure just *what* happened.

(Yeah, yeah, one *should* really use an alias that
types out the (1) date, (2) date/time NOW, some
"head" of the file, then (3) blankspace/dashed-lines,
then some (4) TAIL of the file.  But if we all did
what we "should" do, wouldn't it be a ...)

Thanks,

David

Post by Gary Johnso » Wed, 26 Feb 2003 09:33:31

> It might well be in the manual, but it also should be
> added to the interactive HELP cmd, which types out
> the bindings.

> Add to "P" that it APPENDS to any existing "postponed" file.

While this sounds more like a rant than a question, I'll play along.
On my installation of mutt-1.4i, the "Help for compose" menu says:

    P         postpone-message     save this message to send later

It doesn't say anything about a "postponed file".  But if you were
to assume, without reading the manual, that such a file existed, why
would you assume that it would contain only one message?  That would
imply that executing the postponed-message command would overwrite
any previously postponed message.  That would not be nice.

If one was to assume anything about this file, the words "save" and
"message" would be a hint that the message is saved as in other mutt
contexts, which is by putting it in a mailbox.

Quote:> WHY is that fact NOT "obvious"?

> Because the user, at least this one, uses the
> "head -50" (alias head50) cmd as a quick and easy
> (and usually effective) way to see what's IN a file,
> eg what's been put INTO a file (by some program).

So now you know that that doesn't always work and why.  Do you still
really think that the help entry is inadequate?

Gary

Help-msg on "P" and "postponed" file -- add "appends to postponed"

Post by Sven Gucke » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 05:05:49

Quote:> It might well be in the manual, but it also should be added to
> the interactive HELP cmd, which types out the bindings.
> Add to "P" that it APPENDS to any existing "postponed" file.

the short help overview is not a replacement to the manual.
and a manual is a quick reference - not a user documentation
which explains everything to all the newbies out there.
and even the documentation cannot have all answers.

but maybe you can write the documentation for this?
go on - try it1

Quote:> WHY is that fact NOT "obvious"?
> Because the user, at least this one, uses the
> "head -50" (alias head50) cmd as a quick and easy
> (and usually effective) way to see what's IN a file,
> eg what's been put INTO a file (by some program).

wrong approach.

Quote:> So you don't see the appended stuff.

feature.

Quote:> In fact, since the head-stuff hasn't changed,
> you're not quite sure just *what* happened.

no, *you* are.

Quote:> (Yeah, yeah, one *should* really use an alias that
> types out the (1) date, (2) date/time NOW, some
> "head" of the file, then (3) blankspace/dashed-lines,
> then some (4) TAIL of the file.

there are utilities for this already, eg:

  frm ~/postponed

Quote:> But if we all did what we "should" do, wouldn't it be a ...)

... nicer newsgroup?

Sven

Help-msg on "P" and "postponed" file -- add "appends to postponed"

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Thu, 27 Feb 2003 05:33:51

Quote:>   frm ~/postponed

Nice on. It is in the Debian Package mailutils ... JFYI

Post by David Com » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 04:06:01

>> It might well be in the manual, but it also should be
>> added to the interactive HELP cmd, which types out
>> the bindings.

>> Add to "P" that it APPENDS to any existing "postponed" file.

>While this sounds more like a rant than a question, I'll play along.
>On my installation of mutt-1.4i, the "Help for compose" menu says:

>    P         postpone-message     save this message to send later

>It doesn't say anything about a "postponed file".  But if you were
>to assume, without reading the manual, that such a file existed, why
>would you assume that it would contain only one message?  That would
>imply that executing the postponed-message command would overwrite
>any previously postponed message.  That would not be nice.

>If one was to assume anything about this file, the words "save" and
>"message" would be a hint that the message is saved as in other mutt
>contexts, which is by putting it in a mailbox.

>> WHY is that fact NOT "obvious"?

>> Because the user, at least this one, uses the
>> "head -50" (alias head50) cmd as a quick and easy
>> (and usually effective) way to see what's IN a file,
>> eg what's been put INTO a file (by some program).

>So now you know that that doesn't always work and why.  Do you still
>really think that the help entry is inadequate?

>Gary

Yes.  Say it's the usual 4am, you're tired as hell,
your brain is stressed-out just keeping the eyes open;
a little spoonfeeding would surely not be shouted down.

You know, it's nicely doable just by adding one or two
words.

David

Post by David Com » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 04:16:12

>> It might well be in the manual, but it also should be added to
>> the interactive HELP cmd, which types out the bindings.
>> Add to "P" that it APPENDS to any existing "postponed" file.

>the short help overview is not a replacement to the manual.
>and a manual is a quick reference - not a user documentation
>which explains everything to all the newbies out there.
>and even the documentation cannot have all answers.

Oh, there's a user documentation (that explains
everything)!  I never knew -- what's the url?

<grin>

Quote:>but maybe you can write the documentation for this?
>go on - try it1

The msg (approx) "postpone msg?" could spmply become
"postpone (eg append to ~/messages) msg?"

Quote:>> (Yeah, yeah, one *should* really use an alias that
>> types out the (1) date, (2) date/time NOW, some
>> "head" of the file, then (3) blankspace/dashed-lines,
>> then some (4) TAIL of the file.

>there are utilities for this already, eg:

>  frm ~/postponed

Now *that* is nice -- but I never heard of it.o

Quote:>> But if we all did what we "should" do, wouldn't it be a ...)

>... nicer newsgroup?

No, "world".

Post by Sven Gucke » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 09:29:14

> >but maybe you can write the documentation for this?
> >go on - try it1

> The msg (approx) "postpone msg?" could spmply become
> "postpone (eg append to ~/messages) msg?"

  "postpone (eg append to /this/also/might/become/a/very/long/path/foobar) msg?"

hey - i wouldn't mind it.  but these things usually need
a programmer, a documentarist, and a dozen people
who keep kicking the maintainer to add it.  ;-)

Quote:>>> one *should* really use an alias that types out the (1) date,
>>> (2) date/time NOW, some "head" of the file, then (3)
>>> blankspace/dashed-lines, then some (4) TAIL of the file.

> >there are utilities for this already, eg:

> > frm ~/postponed

> Now *that* is nice -- but I never heard of it.o

that's because it was a utility of the deceased elm mailer.
(alright, so Kari Hurtta still maintains it..)

Sven

--

MUTT WOOF!,,  Usenet: comp.mail.mutt | color+threading, IMAP,MIME+PGP+POP
MUTT   (__/'. http://www.mutt.org/   | Comparison to ELM:

1. Pine 4.31, "Setup", "Config", ..., "?" gives "Illegal instruction"

Start PINE.
"S" for "Setup".
"C" for "Config".

Scroll down to "try-alternative-authentication-driver-first, and press
"?"
Now, scroll down TWO more to "use-subshell-for-suspend" and try "?"
Now... scroll up ONE to "use-current-dir" and try "?"

Bang.

You're back to the shell. Comments?

2. BBS

3. "@" in outgoing address changing to "-" or "#"

4. Source in C for a simple draught game algotithm

5. outlook Express "View" ""COLUMNS""

6. E-lux 3P27

7. File association for ".mbx" and ".nch" files?

8. (none)

9. "T <regex>" Before ";d' & "$", whichOnesARE tagged?

10. add "/" to tab-completion in "Save" cmd

11. repl questions: inserting ">" and using existing "draft" file

12. Question re "mailx" and ".mailrc" startup file

13. "we do not relay" error and no "relay_entire_domain.m4" file