Can't send mails containing "."

Post by Volker Sto » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

I know that this isn't mutt's problem, but perhaps someone can point me
into the right direction:

I use mutt on a Unix-system where mail is correctly send using sendmail -oi.
If the mail's destination is a "foreign" host, mail is forwarded to a PMDF-
server who strips all lines following the line containing the single dot.

What do I have to do get rid of this? What do I have to tell the PMDF-admin
if there's something he could do?

Regards,
   Volker
(PS: I speak a little bit SMTP and know what the dot means, so there's no
 need to eloborate on this)
--

Can't send mails containing "."

Post by Gergo Bara » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

>I know that this isn't mutt's problem, but perhaps someone can point me
>into the right direction:

>I use mutt on a Unix-system where mail is correctly send using sendmail -oi.
>If the mail's destination is a "foreign" host, mail is forwarded to a PMDF-
>server who strips all lines following the line containing the single dot.

>What do I have to do get rid of this? What do I have to tell the PMDF-admin
>if there's something he could do?

>Regards,
>   Volker
>(PS: I speak a little bit SMTP and know what the dot means, so there's no
> need to eloborate on this)

I tried inserting lines with dots only in my mails, and to my great
surprise, no information was lost. I don't know why this happened, but
my theory is the following: since the RFC (can't recall the number; 722
or something) mandates that a mail must end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>, maybe
you could send mail that includes <CR>.<CR> or <LF>.<LF> and still get
newlines without losing data. Is this possible?

Gergo

--
"Why be a man when you can be a success?"
                -- Bertold Brecht

GU d- s:+ a--- C++>$ UL+++ P>++ L+++ E>++ W+ N++ o? K- w--- !O !M !V
PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP+ t* 5+ X- R>+ tv++ b+>+++ DI+ D+ G>++ e* h! !r !y+

Can't send mails containing "."

Post by Lech Szychowsk » Wed, 19 May 1999 04:00:00

: I tried inserting lines with dots only in my mails, and to my great
: surprise, no information was lost. I don't know why this happened, but
: my theory is the following: since the RFC (can't recall the number; 722
: or something) mandates that a mail must end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>, maybe
: you could send mail that includes <CR>.<CR> or <LF>.<LF> and still get
: newlines without losing data. Is this possible?

RFC821 says that any line starting with dot gets another dot
prepended to be stripped by the other end. For example, sendmail
does it for any mailer that has the "X" flag set, and this flag
has to be set for SMTP-talking mailers to assure proper delivery.
Although, one can tell sendmail not to treat single dot as the
end-of-message marker by specifying IgnoreDots - and that's
something that should be done if feed messages to sendmail
from stdin; even if you specify IgnoreDots sendmail will
still treat single dot as an end-of-message marker for all
SMTP connections.

--
        Leszek.

-- speaking just for myself...

1. Canned format for sending a "second notice" followup.

Here's what I have found to be useful for sending a second
message to someone you have been waiting on for a reply.  The
intended usage is to use repl on the +outbox copy of a message
you have already sent.

Bcc:\n\
Subject: Re: %<{subject}%{subject}%|My message of %{date}%>\n\
%(lit)%(formataddr{to})%<(nonnull)%(void(width))%(putaddr To: )\n%>\
%(lit)%(formataddr{cc})%<(nonnull)%(void(width))%(putaddr Cc: )\n%>\
%<{fcc}Fcc: %{fcc}\n%>\
%<{message-id}References: %<{References}%(trim)%(putstr) %>%{message-id}%>\n\
--------\n\
I don't believe I've heard from you yet concerning a message I sent
about %(void(rclock{date}))%(void(plus 43200))%(divide 86400) \
days ago.  Could you please get back to me?  Thanks.

-- gk

2. How to display Chinese GB and BIG5 characters in 20.4 w/ Mule?

3. Sendmail 'hanging' on "mail from:" and "rcpt to:"

4. HP DAT drive on ELC (FAQ?)

5. Pine 4.31, "Setup", "Config", ..., "?" gives "Illegal instruction"

6. funktion-keys with Rel. 14 ?

7. "T <regex>" Before ";d' & "$", whichOnesARE tagged?

8. Power PC chip

9. Mail Loops when sending mail to side "bca" or "distopia"

10. "Mail to" link won't open "New Message" window (OE 5.01)

11. "Send To" and "Mail Link" problem...

12. How to display "To:" vs. "From" in send-mail

13. Sending "Mail" to "News"