can't send an E-mail with an attachment

Post by Itai Fei » Sun, 08 Feb 1998 04:00:00

for some reason i can only send e-mail without an attachment
or with an attachment of a very small size (aprox. 20 K)
if i send a larger attachment then when i send the e-mail it gets stuck
and i have to ctrl+alt+del and "end task"

i checked in the mail -> options -> send, and my brake apart option
is disabled

please advise.

p.s. i have no trouble receving e-mail with large attachments !!!

can't send an E-mail with an attachment

Post by Michael Santove » Mon, 09 Feb 1998 04:00:00

For further help on this problem, try this newsgroup:

The problem is your Modem and/or Winsock.  The problem is that your PC
can't send more than a few KB at a time without the send locking up.  This
is not specific to your mail program but applies to any sort of sending
operation.  Receiving is not a problem.

Yours is not a unique problem, but it can be difficult to track down and
fix.

Some possible causes of the problem:
- Check: My Computer, Dial-up Networking, right-click on the connectoid,
Properties, Server Type, Advanced Options.  Remove the check mark for
Enable Software Compression.  Some ISPs can't handle the compression.  If
this setting doesn't make any difference in your problem, you may want to
turn it back on.
- Check: My Computer, Dial-up Networking, right-click on the connectoid,
Properties, Server Type, Allowed Network Protocols.  Only TCP/IP should be
checked for an ISP connection.
- Check: My Computer, Dial-up Networking, right-click on the connectoid,
Properties, Modem Configure, Connection, Advanced.  You should use Hardware
Flow Control rather than Software.
- Check: My Computer, Dial-up Networking, right-click on the connectoid,
Properties, Modem Configure, Connection, Port Settings.  If you have
selected FIFO, but don't really have a 16550 UART in the COM port that the
External modem connects to, then disable this.   This problem would only
apply to an External modem, since any Internal modem would have the 16550
built-in.  Also, if you do have a 16550 UART, adjusting the buffer sizes
may help.  The largest value is not necessarily the best.
- Check: My Computer, Dial-up Networking, right-click on the connectoid,
Properties, Modem Configure, General, Maximum Speed.  For a 28.8 kbps or
faster modem try 38400, 57600 and 115200.  For a slower modem try 19200,
38400 and 57600.
- Internet Mail or News Reader Software Hangs or Times Out
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q156/4/38.asp

Some other resources to check out:
Navas Modem FAQ
http://www.aimnet.com/~jnavas/modem/faq.html
Modem FAQ -- Curt's High Speed Modem Page
http://www.teleport.com/~curt/modems.html
AL's WINSOCK TUNING FAQ
http://www.cerberus-sys.com/~belleisl/mtu_mss_rwin.html
Windows 95 TCP/IP Dial-Up Go-Faster Tips
http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/mreeves/tips.htm
Win95 Dial-up Networking (DUN)
http://www.windows95.com/connect/

Quote:> for some reason i can only send e-mail without an attachment
> or with an attachment of a very small size (aprox. 20 K)
> if i send a larger attachment then when i send the e-mail it gets stuck
> and i have to ctrl+alt+del and "end task"

> i checked in the mail -> options -> send, and my brake apart option
> is disabled

> please advise.

> p.s. i have no trouble receving e-mail with large attachments !!!

can't send an E-mail with an attachment

Post by Dave Boutho » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I received an email with an attachment.  It tells me it sent it to 4098 in
winmail.dat.  I cannot find this document anywhere in my computer.  Please
help.

can't send an E-mail with an attachment

Post by Michael Santove » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

A couple of possibilities:

1) You didn't really get the attachment.  Internet Mail itself never says
anything about having put attachments anywhere.  You should have a paper
clip icon if there is an attachment.  What may have happened is that the
person 1 sent the attachment to person 2 who forwarded the message to you.
Person 2 may have a mail program that automatically detaches attachments
and puts a note in the e-mail message concerning what it did with the
attachment.  You are seeing that note.  It is meaningless to you.

2) Even if you got the Winmail.dat attachment, you won't be able to use it.
 Most likely the sender is using Exchange (or Windows Messaging or
Outlook97) and sent the messages in Rich Text Format.  It puts the RTF
message in an attachment called WINMAIL.DAT (application/ms-tnef).  But
this attachment is useless unless the recipient is also using Exchange, or
its relatives.

The sender can turn off the RTF option for messages to you.

For more information, see:
XCLN: Sending Messages In Rich-Text Format
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q136/2/04.asp

XFOR: Preventing WINMAIL.DAT Sent to Internet Users
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q138/0/53.asp

For some additional information, see:
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/decode.htm

Quote:> I received an email with an attachment.  It tells me it sent it to 4098

Post by john » Sat, 14 Feb 1998 04:00:00

> I received an email with an attachment.  It tells me it sent it to 4098 in
> winmail.dat.  I cannot find this document anywhere in my computer.  Please
> help.

i have a similar question. how do we actually 'extract'
the attachment from the email? i have yet to find a way.
whenever i want to access the attachment, i have to open
the email first- very annoying. we would appreciate any
help. thanks.

all the best.
-------------
johnny

san jose state university
bachelor of science, graphic design

http://www.geocities.com/~nvision

can't send an E-mail with an attachment

Post by Michael Santove » Sun, 15 Feb 1998 04:00:00

To save a "paper clip" attachment, there are several methods.  1 - Double
click on the message header in the message list to open the message, then
right-click on the attachment icon and select Save As.  You can give the
file any name you want, including any extension, just by typing in a new
name in the File name box.  2 - Double click on the message header in the
message list to open the message, then drag and drop the attachment icon to
a Windows File Explorer folder (or the desk top).  3 - For Internet Mail
and News: Left click on the paper click, then Ctrl-Left click to get the
Save As window.  For Outlook Express, the file will automatically open if
you try this, unless the Win95 File Association has specified "Confirm Open
After Download", in which case you get a message asking to open/save the
attachment.  4 - In Outlook Express, select File, Save Attachments.

> i have a similar question. how do we actually 'extract'
> the attachment from the email? i have yet to find a way.
> whenever i want to access the attachment, i have to open
> the email first- very annoying. we would appreciate any
> help. thanks.

> all the best.
> -------------
> johnny

> san jose state university
> bachelor of science, graphic design

> http://www.geocities.com/~nvision

1. Canned format for sending a "second notice" followup.

Here's what I have found to be useful for sending a second
message to someone you have been waiting on for a reply.  The
intended usage is to use repl on the +outbox copy of a message
you have already sent.

Bcc:\n\
Subject: Re: %<{subject}%{subject}%|My message of %{date}%>\n\
%(lit)%(formataddr{to})%<(nonnull)%(void(width))%(putaddr To: )\n%>\
%(lit)%(formataddr{cc})%<(nonnull)%(void(width))%(putaddr Cc: )\n%>\
%<{fcc}Fcc: %{fcc}\n%>\
%<{message-id}References: %<{References}%(trim)%(putstr) %>%{message-id}%>\n\
--------\n\
I don't believe I've heard from you yet concerning a message I sent
about %(void(rclock{date}))%(void(plus 43200))%(divide 86400) \
days ago.  Could you please get back to me?  Thanks.

-- gk

2. explorer.exe crashes ????

3. can't send email attachments

4. 17" Pivot Monitor

5. Send to 'mail recipient' sends 2 emails

6. SID 2.0 Demo Version on Ab20

7. I send one OE e-mail & it sends 5 I haven't sent

8. Bad SEAL 0.2 released!

9. I can't send E-Mail I Can't Get E-Mail

10. E-Mail Attachments, Outlook Express won't let me open attachments

11. FTP-feature to upload 'attachments' to your website instead of sending them

12. Outlook Express Won't open email Attachments ending in .email

13. SEND html message email attachment in the body of email??