mutt and vim

Post by Niels Rasmuss » Sun, 01 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi all

I have some problem with setting the editorswitch to wrap long
lines!

How do I do that ??

In my ~.muttrc I have typed:set editor='vi -c "set tw=72" +2'

But that doesnt work!

Please help me !!

Regards
Niels

echo "This message is brought to you from a standalone machine"
Niels Rasmussen                 | "To do is to be" -- Plato

Registred Linux user #133791    | "Do be do be do" -- Sinatra

          "Any similarities between what I say
        and what I mean are purely coincidental"

mutt and vim

Post by Sven Guck » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have some problem with setting the editorswitch to wrap long lines!
> In my ~.muttrc I have typed:set editor='vi -c "set tw=72" +2'
> But that doesnt work!

Just "set editor=vim" and put an autocommand into your $HOME/.vimrc:

        au BufNewFile,BufRead .followup,.letter,mutt*,nn.*,snd.* tw=72

You probably want to read up autocommands, too.  ;-)

PS:  Your sig has trailing whitespace, tabs, and empty lines.  Please fix!

Sven

--

"The wonderful thing about Tiggers         [excerpt of "Tigger's Song" in
 Is Tiggers are wonderful chaps            "Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too"]

mutt and vim

Post by Catatonic Disma » Wed, 04 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> > I have some problem with setting the editorswitch to wrap long lines!
> > In my ~.muttrc I have typed:set editor='vi -c "set tw=72" +2'
> > But that doesnt work!

> Just "set editor=vim" and put an autocommand into your $HOME/.vimrc:

>         au BufNewFile,BufRead .followup,.letter,mutt*,nn.*,snd.* tw=72

        set editor="vim -c 'set tw=72'"

--

1. Vim mutt mode

Hi Ben,

VIM recognises filetypes which for example allows it to use the proper
syntax coloring.  So if by mutt mode you mean loading special settings when
starting VIM, you can automatically check for the filetype and use the
proper settings.

Look into the VIM online help vor "autocommand" and "filetype. For example
if you want to set the textwidth to 76 when writing mail or news, just add
the following line to your ~/.vimrc

autocmd Filetype mail   set textwidth=76

In a similar way you can set all the settings or automatically execute
commands depending on the filetype.

Lutz

--
I am OE of Borg.  You will be quoted awfully.  Sigtrenner is futile.

2. (no subject)

3. Vim and Mutt and keyboard setting

4. Freenet to link Acorns?

5. Mutt (or Vim) question: don't quote sig

6. LAN connection to ASDL - help!

7. vim and mutt

8. Advice on video upgrade

9. expanding mutt aliases in vim

10. mutt & vim

11. looking for Sven's mutt colors for vim :)

12. MSN V2 (UK) ands Internet Mail

13. Netmeeting ands several participants