Help - Mail client that works with shared mailbox folders on a lan

Post by Andrew Star » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 10:43:45

> I have an existing lan with four users that I want to have some shared
> access to mailboxes.

try QuickMail Office -- I believe it offers shared mailboxes

--
Andrew Starr
eMailman(r): http://www.emailman.com

Help - Mail client that works with shared mailbox folders on a lan

Post by Sam » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 12:28:30

Quote:> x-no-archive:yes

> On 3 Jul 2001 22:42:14 GMT, Sam offered the following:

>> > Problem:
>> > - Eudora Lite doesn't share mailboxes very elegantly.  If more than one
>> > user accesses Eudora, crashes occur... the users on this lan require
>> > shared access to mail that has been filed in numerous folders for
>> > archive purposes.

>> > If a mail client only solution is not do-able, what mail server/client
>> > combination would you recommend that meets most or all of the
>> > requirements I am looking for?

>> Shared mail folders is a standard fare of most IMAP servers.  Set up an
>> IMAP server, and configure your mail clients to access the same IMAP
>> account.  Note that some IMAP servers do not use sharable folders by
>> default, so some explicit configuration may be necessary.

> Hi Sam,

> What cost effective IMAP servers would you recommend that would run on
> Win2K Pro workstation with minimal overhead in the four user lan?

In theory, the UW-IMAP server can supposedly be compiled to run on NT, but
I can't claim first hand experience.

Your choices in the NT environment are rather limited.  I am not aware of
any feasible mechanism other than IMAP that potentially allows multiple
mail clients to read the same folder, and the only viable low-cost IMAP
server platform is Linux/UNIX.  The only NT native IMAP server software
that I'm aware of is Exchange, Lotus Domino, Netscape Enterprise, and
CommunigatePro.  Netscape is currently on life support (if NS Enterprise
hasn't already been discontinued) and licensing fees for either Exchange or
CommunigatePro will likely to be in the $thousands.  I'm not sure how
expensive Lotus Domino is, but its IMAP server is legendary for its
inherent *factor.  That pretty much does it for NT.  If you are serious
about implementing an IMAP-based solution, you will have to go with
Linux/UNIX, where there is a comparatively greater choice of mature IMAP
servers.  I can name at least three right off the top of my head.

Quote:> I'd like to continue to use Eudora Lite 3.06 or upgrade to 5.0 for the
> clients.  Will either Eudora handle shared mailboxes & private mailboxes
> under IMAP or do I have to look at another client app?

IMAP is an abstraction layer between a mail client and a mail server.  With
mail stored on the server, it is a server issue whether or not the server
can handle concurrent IMAP access to the same folder.  The IMAP client
really has no idea whether it is reading mail from a private mailbox, or
from a public newsgroup.

Post by Kari Hurtt » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 21:43:12

> Your choices in the NT environment are rather limited.  I am not aware of
> any feasible mechanism other than IMAP that potentially allows multiple
> mail clients to read the same folder, and the only viable low-cost IMAP
> server platform is Linux/UNIX.  The only NT native IMAP server software
> that I'm aware of is Exchange, Lotus Domino, Netscape Enterprise, and
> CommunigatePro.  Netscape is currently on life support (if NS Enterprise
> hasn't already been discontinued) and licensing fees for either Exchange or
> CommunigatePro will likely to be in the $thousands.  I'm not sure how
> expensive Lotus Domino is, but its IMAP server is legendary for its
> inherent *factor.  That pretty much does it for NT.  If you are serious
> about implementing an IMAP-based solution, you will have to go with
> Linux/UNIX, where there is a comparatively greater choice of mature IMAP
> servers.  I can name at least three right off the top of my head.

Are you sure about Communigate Pro ? My impresison is that Exchange
and so on is magnitude more expensive than Communigate Pro.

(for $thousands (ie $1999) it is so called Enterprise licensense --
 1000 accounts and 100 mailing list -- look Licessing page.)

--
          /"\                           |  Kari
          \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign |    Hurtta