Problem with Outlook Express and STARTTLS and Sendmail (strange)

Problem with Outlook Express and STARTTLS and Sendmail (strange)

Post by Jason Stratfo » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 00:50:39

Hi

I have a server running sendmail 8.12.1 with starttls compiled into
it. When trying to use outlook express and starttls I get an error
"500 Unsupported Command." (Which does not show up in the syslog
regardless of the log level)

Now if I telnet to the port and issue an ehlo I end up with this
comming out of it on both a windows client and a linux client.

[snip]teredminds.com [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE
250-DSN
250-ETRN
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-STARTTLS
250-DELIVERBY
250 HELP

Now if I enter the starttls command on linux I get...

starttls
220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS

Which is ok..
But if I enter the same command on the windows machine I get...

starttls
500 Unsupported command.

Any ideas? "500 Unsupported command." doesn't even appear to be in the
source code for sendmail so I have no idea where it is comming from.
But even more strange is that if you put a space before sending the
starttls command from the windows client it works! Now I am lost.

Please help
Jason

Post by Claus A?man » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 01:06:28

> I have a server running sendmail 8.12.1 with starttls compiled into
> it. When trying to use outlook express and starttls I get an error
> "500 Unsupported Command." (Which does not show up in the syslog
> regardless of the log level)

Do you have some "firewall" in front of sendmail?

Some are very helpful to break ESMTP...

--
If you feel the urgent wish to send me a courtesy copy of a Usenet
posting, then make sure it's recognizable as such!

Problem with Outlook Express and STARTTLS and Sendmail (strange)

Post by Jason Stratfo » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 06:15:22

Yes I do have a firewall (iptables in linux). However, I am connecting
from an internal machine, and I have also tried it with the firewall
switched off and it makes no difference.

The thing that is bothering me is that I can not find the error
message "500 Unsupported command." in the source for sendmail
(allowing for the possibility I have missed it but a grep of the
source didn't find it).

Ah-ha! Just found what it is... Norton Anti-virus on the PC!! It scans
the outgoing smtp and screws with it! Typical.

Thanks for the message as it prodded me into the right track to find
the solution.

Cheers
Jason