email addressing rules

Post by Marty Fri » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I'm curious about some email addressing formats I've noticed lately.
I use PC Eudora; my sister uses Eudora Pro on her Mac, but this isn't
specifically a Eudora question.  My other sister and my brother also use
email, and we frequently send copies to everyone.

First question - I got email with the following in the header:
To: "Marty, Sheila, Stan":;
These are apparently the nicknames she uses for us all.  Not that there
are no email addresses, just the nicknames.  Usually, I see an email
address in the header (there was no cc: field).  I don't know where the
colon/semicolon came from; I was unable to reply to this like I normally
do.

My next question has to do with formatting of the addresses.  I sometimes
see things like this:

I know the quotes aren't needed, but why are there all these quotes around
the nicknames?  I assume the email program is putting them in, but it doesn't
do that for stuff I send out.

I'm the one they all come to with questions and problems, so I want to figure
this one out.  Besides, I'm curious.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Marty Fried           :        m.j.fried

Win32 Programmer      :   Make me one with everything.
Audio/Video/Winsock   : -Zen monk to the hotdog vendor

email addressing rules

Post by Boris 'pi' Piwinge » Sat, 21 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>I'm curious about some email addressing formats I've noticed lately.

Too bad, my help did not reach you:

:   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

:
:   ----- Transcript of session follows -----

pi
--
Yogi Berra said:

Quote:>It's like deja vu all over again!

email addressing rules

Post by Marty Fri » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Once upon a time (OK, it was Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:06:20 -0500), Boris

>>I'm curious about some email addressing formats I've noticed lately.

>Too bad, my help did not reach you:

Yes... too bad you didn't post to the newsgroup, as is usual for
replying to a newsgroup post.

My email address is intentionally altered to reduce automated address
harvestors for spam lists.  I thought it was fairly obvious, but just
in case it wasn't, I put my real address in my sig, in a format that
is not readable by spammer software.

However, I prefer to keep discussions in the newsgroups, where others
can possibly benefit.  Is there some reason you tried to reply by
email only?

Marty Fried          :       m.j.fried at usa.net
Marin County, CA     :         No spam please.