what is rev aliasing

Post by David D Kilz » Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have read bits and pieces about the details of reverse aliasing lately.
>What is reverse aliasing. In the strictest sense of the word, It would seem
>you do reverse aliasing in the alias file?
>Enlighten me fellow dilberts..

It's like hostname masking, except for email addresses.  You can do
things like mapping all outgoing email from ``root'' to appear to come
from ``postmaster'' (for whatever reason).

Or if you are really lazy, you can use it to remap a user's email
address to another address so they don't have to use a Reply-To field in
their email or a .forward file in their home directory.

I haven't found a practical use for it yet, but perhaps someone else
has.  The /usr/lib/sendmail.cf file has a little more information about
rev-aliases if you've patched your system to include this feature.

Dave
--
David D. Kilzer              \ ``My goal is to carry the Macintosh torch and

Computer Engineer 4          \                 Guy Kawasaki
Iowa State University, Ames  /         Newly-appointed Apple Fellow

what is rev aliasing

Post by Martin Leese - O » Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>> >I have read bits and pieces about the details of reverse aliasing lately.
>> >What is reverse aliasing. In the strictest sense of the word, It would seem
>> >you do reverse aliasing in the alias file?
>> >Enlighten me fellow dilberts..
>> I haven't found a practical use for it yet, but perhaps someone else
>> has.  The /usr/lib/sendmail.cf file has a little more information about
>> rev-aliases if you've patched your system to include this feature.

A very useful use is to use it to convert outgoing addresses from the

This allows senders to better guess a recipients' address when they
only half remember it.

Regards,
Martin

WWW:    http://www.omg.unb.ca/~mleese/
 Want to know how Ambisonics can improve the sound of your LPs and CDs?
  See the Ambisonic Surround Sound FAQ.  Details on my WWW Home page.

what is rev aliasing

Post by David D Kilz » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>> I haven't found a practical use for it yet, but perhaps someone else
>>> has.  The /usr/lib/sendmail.cf file has a little more information about
>>> rev-aliases if you've patched your system to include this feature.

>A very useful use is to use it to convert outgoing addresses from the

>This allows senders to better guess a recipients' address when they
>only half remember it.

Yeah, but then you have to alias everyone to Fname.Lname at your
sight--a job I have neither the time nor the desire to do.  :^)

Dave
--
David D. Kilzer              \ ``My goal is to carry the Macintosh torch and

Computer Engineer 4          \                 Guy Kawasaki
Iowa State University, Ames  /         Newly-appointed Apple Fellow

1. MH and Sendmail rev-aliasing

A while back, there was a thread on this newsgroup on making MH work with
sendmail reverse aliasing, and a few solutions suggested. Does anyone know if
this newsgroup is archived anywhere, so that I can pull out those postings? Or
can someone that has solved this problem before share the solution with me?

Basically, the problem is that if I want the From: address to not be my login
ID on the machine I'm sending the message from, but some user-friendly ID (like

local sendmail when posting my mail (I think, or at least something like this).

Many thanks in advance,

Andres.

--

Distributed Computing Infrastructure               (813) 987-1692    phone
GTE Data Services Incorporated                     (813) 987-1048      fax

2. Binary Factor Analysis

3. I am not receiving mail and am unable to send mail,

4. update of pcl3 plotter driver

5. I am not receiving mail and am unable to send mail

6. Date subroutines and 2000 being a leap year

7. NEWBIE QUESTION: Communicator 4.04 and Sun Imap4 server rev 2.0

8. Pattern uniqueness in .maildelivery

9. Smail 3.1.20 & SunOS 4.1.1 Rev B. & Yellow Pages

10. New rev "pine 3.93" (fwd)

11. Where to get down-rev versions of Pegasus

12. !!!How can I rebuild my /etc/aliases using the aliases.dir and the aliases.pag ???????

13. An alias is an alias is an alias